Ball Valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Taking a quick poll on ball valves for residential plumbing.

Thoughts on if bronze ball valves with stainless steel stem and ball is overkill, or if brass with brass stem and chrome plated ball will give worry free service as well.

Want a leak free shutoff for a good many years. I know bronze & stainless is the better option, but at roughly $30 bucks more per valve it starts to add up quick.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We used Bronze and Stainless Ford Ball Valves.

Never a problem, always reliable, and no long handle to rust off.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Red & White gate valves..only..seen too many "bursts" by opening or closing
    a ball valve too fast!:hammerhead:

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

This is not for irrigation, but for shutoff and bypass control for indoor plumbing.

BTW, I hate gate valves. Water in these parts makes them ineffective in a hurry.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Shame on you mike.

Gate valves for shutoff's? Never.

Do you want to repair freeze damage because your gate valve weeped all winter?

Its more likely than you think.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I guess I was not paying attention, all these weeks away have dulled
    my usually razor-sharp mind.:dizzy: Jon, NEVER had a problem w/Red & Whites.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

For those interested, Nibco has an impressive valve selection with handle options (including close tolerance) for all their ball valves.

Here is a link to their full ball valve catalog

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, that is what happens around here. Deposits prevent the gate from seating properly and you never get a positive shutoff.

So I need around 14 valves total. Is chrome plated brass going to corrode significantly faster than SS to the point of weeping to make it worth spending an extra 400-500 bucks for bronze and SS? In your experiences, how long would you expect a chrome plated brass ball to last in aggressive water (very hard water) before it fails to provide a positive shutoff?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It isn't the hard water as much as the integrity of the chrome plating. The only standard ball valve to never show a failure on my watch is no longer manufactured. I just plumb a connection as though the shutoff valve in the basement was a gate valve, sure to drip in the winter, and provide an outlet for the drippage,

10. No offense to anybody but this topic takes the cake forBORING yawn smack smack rub rub yawwwwwn