Ballfield redo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muddstopper, Jul 18, 2003.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have been asked to summit a bid for the renovation of the outfield turf at the highschool ball park. The area is to be smoothed and sloped and reseeded. My plan of attack is to roundup the exisiting turf,wait two weeks and then grade slope, add soil test reccommendations, till the soil and rake smooth, broadcast 50% seed and hydroseed the remaining 50% of the seed. This work will not be preformed untill after ball season late Sept. The question I have is, assuming I get the bid, should I start adding the nessiccary minerals now,(lime) or should I wait until the actual earthwork is to be started. The grade work will involve filling in minor shallow dips and valleys and will be mostly done with a powerrake. There will be no topsoil brought in. The turf is fairly thick but weedy and if it wasnt for the dips would suggest chem apps only. Grass seed to be used is Fescue ballpark blends,( Amigo, Alamo-E, Arid ll) with the addition of Labarinth Fescue.

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Seeing as how the low bid is going to get the job here, this is what I would suggest in regards to the limestone. Apply as much as possible now. Before doing the renovation, check the pH again. If necessary, apply more when tilling the soil.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Thats about what I figured, get the soil as close as possible to perfect before the actual seeding starts. As for low bids, mine will probably be the only one and will be rejected if it is to high. I dont mind donating a little on the job but cant afford to do it for nothing either. Anybody want to give me a rough bid on approx. 1.3 acre, ( i havent measured it yet), using the info provided. I figure 2 days max time one person.