ballpark figure of small landscape/lawn renovation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Carolina Cuts, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

4 yards mulch... bed re-shaping... 1600sqt sod... property is a wreck... old lawn to be tilled' and graded (approx... 1600sqt) ... 3 yards (new) topsoil graded in. Is this enough info???

Any ballpark figures (labor)??? Just wanna make sure I'm not way under or over.

thanks..

2. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Without knowing what kind of bed re-shaping your talking about, I'd say somewhere between $1000.00 and $1400.00 What part of Carolina are you from. This sounds like some of the calls I've been getting lately.

3. j fisher

Opps. I re-read your post. Looks like you were asking about labor cost. The figure I gave was for the complete job.

4. Carolina Cuts

no, that's fine... (your quote) .... I came up with $1200... material and labor... labor approx. half... then I felt like it was a little on the light side... so I added here and there... :p ended up at $1350.00
    bed reshaping consists of just diggin' around the beds a bit... (small trench) They're already there, just need to be cleaned up some.

one man operation... I figured about $30.00hr in labor... taking my time.

I'm staying an hour outside of Myrtle Beach... advertised a little around here... but doing most of my advertising at the beach and in the new communities they're developing... which is about 100 of em' !!!! :cool2:

problem I'm seeing is... MOST of the developments are 55 and over.... some communities have 100-200 homes... nice easy properties... but they're bidding the entire developments out to one contractor. I've been on the phone all day and night trying to find the communities in which the homeowners have to maintain their properties and I'm hitting those with flyers.... Made the mistake of delivering close to 200 flyers in one spot, just to find out Joe Shmoes landscaping...landed all the houses at $7.50/house. :dizzy:

5. j fisher

$7.50 per house?? Are you Kidding? What size properties are these?

6. Carolina Cuts

Nope, not kiddin'.... my parents just relocated here... well, to Conway... borderline Myrtle Beach... right off of 501. The guy who won that contract (lawn maintenance only) bidded $7.50/house... The landscaper who won the install/landscape contract for new home construction in the same development bidded the lawn maintenance as well, but he bidded $12.00/house.

I wanna say the mowing area is approx. 2000 - 2600 sqt. give or take ...
    $12.00 - $15.00/house I can see... boom, boom, boom doing 5-8 houses an hour complete... but NOT $7.50/house.... can't imagine having money left to pay the help you would need to do that many homes.

I have an uncle visiting here from jersey... he lives in a 55 and over community... 4-5 years ago, LCO's were bidding $14/house... 300 homes. Today, they're down to $8.00/house... 600 homes. Nice pay day I suppose... not so sure. I'd rather stick to my $25.00 - $35.00 residentials.