1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bam Boo Removal ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Phinc, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Phinc

Phinc LawnSite Member

Short of renting heavy equipment and digging a hole in a customers yard ... Anybody ever try to dig this crap up ?? I tried to dig it all today and that @#$*&^% was every where !!! Any help would be great . Thanks Paul
  2. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ya we took some up in the beginning of the season by hand ( shovel , loppers )--it was rought !!!! theres these long roots that jet out under the soil, and the rootball itself is very tough to put the shovel through, i sopose it depends on how big they are, ours were in the 7-8 foot range..10 + i think would be very tough by hand.

good luck-
  3. Phinc

Phinc LawnSite Member

Yea pick and shovel was all I had. It just seems never ending !! Maybe some explosives ??? That would be too easy.
  4. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

You really can't remove bamboo. Even after you think it's all gone, it will be back. It's been know to grow under roadways and sprout up in other people's yards.
  5. Throgmorton

Throgmorton LawnSite Member

We took some out with a large backhoe then tilled the soil. We got most of it but it still will come back. It's about like getting rid of bermuda grass.
  6. Phinc

Phinc LawnSite Member

Well I'm in the process of tyring to save the bermuda and eliminate the bam boo. I didn't think about tilling it up. I'm just not sure I can get that deep ???
  7. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

You'll need to get a few feet deep.
  8. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

typiclly bamboo roots dont go deeper than 30 inches
  9. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

cut it down, and kill the stubble with roundup. Then kill it again with roundup in a few weeks. You may need a third application later.

Then, if you wish to seed, you'll need to till the area to a few inches deep and rake out the old bamboo stubble that floats to the top.
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, if you want to go a step further, keep spraying any new shoots for a year to make sure it's dead. Then do what you need to do.