bamboo grows like wide fire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i have a customer who is growing bamboo and she would like me to put a bamboo barrier around it, 24 inches in the ground. i've seen it done on tv but never did it my self, does anybody no were i could get this stuff in NJ?who has done this type of work, does it really work ?

2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

What kinda root barrier products are offered?

3. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

the people i've talked to here in south jersey laugh at me and say," no one has that stuff here"!

4. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

I guess you could fill a 2' ditch with concrete, that should stop the roots.

For awhile...

I've seen healthy root systems go through just about anything. Whole house foundations have been destroyed by tree roots. Roots are natures army of destruction...you can fight a holding action against them, but, let your guard down, and they'll take you out man.

Roots and Roaches are the only thing that will survive the apocolypse.

5. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

well, i do concrete too, but in this case , we need bamboo barrier!the bamboo roots run abouut 3inches below ground level, in some cases it will even travol 2 foot below ground level, anybody else have any imput???

6. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

I quess nobody ever worked with this stuff, thats funny. it seems to be such a scares thing, mean while the bamboo is growing!

7. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

take your search page and type in The Bamboo Page. You will be taken to a site with links to many sites dealing with all aspects of growing bamboo. Good Luck.

8. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

9. eakern

eakern LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I would dig the barrier deeper than 24". Maybe 30" to 36" deep. Also, what kind of bamboo does your customer have ? If the variety is a "runner " rather than a clumping root system your barrier should account for the runners growing over and by-passing the barrier in to new soil. If so, you may want to consider having some width to the barrier to inhibit the runners and allow your customer time to cut them off before they reacg new ground. I'm not sure, but creating a" Ph Barrier" may help as well.

10. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

it's a runner, 2 years old, so its hasn't sat in yet! but buy next year i'd say good buy yard! what's a ph barrier?