bamboo rakes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chevy1tondualyjd, Apr 6, 2004.

1. chevy1tondualyjd

chevy1tondualyjd LawnSite Member
    from Maine

last sesson while working at this ladies house she told us that we were using the wrong types of rakes. we were using the plastic one you can get a hd. any way she said that we should switch to bamboo rakes because they don't rip up the lawn like the plastic ones do. is she just crazy or does she know more than me.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Stay with your plastic rakes.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

That or metal rakes. The ones with plastic teeth will break.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I like bamboo rakes, prefer to use them. The only place I could find wide bamboo rakes was Kmart, and they weren't so great in quality. Handles were always breaking. Plastic rakes are just okay, imo. But then again, I rarely use a rake so I don't really care.

:D

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I can't stand bamboo rakes. Maybe I haven't given them enough of a chance. I'll take a metal one or plastic, anyday.

6. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

hello chevy1tondualyjd,
    I would have to agree with the other guys- plastic is the way to go. this lady must be a real piece of work. Maybe next time she should just mind her own business.
    I know of an older lady that I work for that wouldn't allow me to use a rider mower because she said it pulled the grass out. I say ok and mow by hand. Then during mid-summer when its nice weather, I mow with the push mower and she says its too wet to mow! Go figure huh?

By the way chevy1tondualyjd, where are you in Maine?

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I use the plastic ones from Ace Hardware. They have an extra plastic support that keeps them from breaking. No problem with the lawns and do great raking the shrubs.

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The bamboo rakes rip up the lawn the most, they are good for raking in the spring (sorta like dethatching), the metal ones rip the least.

Plastic is the best all around, IMHO. Course, we only need them for raking the pile to the vacuum hose....

This might seem odd to say, but if the handles are always breaking, you are using them too hard (or, try to find a higher quality {more expensive} rake). Years ago, we thought we had solved this by putting thick dowel handles on them, and then just ended up breaking the plastic rake heads. 6 of one, half dozen of the other....