1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bamboo removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SUNSHINE LAWN, Mar 6, 2002.

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

At my house I have an area about 30' x 75' that was full of minature bamboo. Before this winter I cut it all down to ground level and covered it with about 2 feet of leaves trying to kill it by not allowing it sunlight or oxygen. This spring I want to remove the leaves and plant english ivy in there. Should I use landscape fabric to keep the bamboo from growing in there? Any suggestions?
  2. RoyeDillon

RoyeDillon LawnSite Member

Bamboo is Chinaman's venegenance upon us. Good Luck getting rid of it. It'll grow through concrete. We have been fighting it under & around a pond. We pulled every single bit we could fing both above & below groung. It still keeps coming back. You might consider using Bare ground products all year & planting next. This Might work! You can call local extension service to see if they have any more suggestions & talk to local chemical suppliers (plural) to see their suggestions also. Let us know if it was successful, but w/ leaves probably not. Good Luck Keep us informed. Roye
  3. Always Green

Always Green LawnSite Member

This is not a joke!!!!!!! You can't get rid of it you can contain it just but in a border aroud it 1/8" steal plate to a depth of 20" below the surface. We have tried it all cut off the stalks and poured round-up Pro strait down the stalk with a funnel, it came right back. Your in deep s**t it'll be there and the lot next door long after you and I are both dead.
  4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Depends if its the suckering or non-suckering variety,when you say miniature it may be one of the clump forming varieties,they can be dug out without to much problem,any regrowth can be sprayed,but not with Roundup you need something stronger.The suckering varieties you got problems you need to remove every last piece of root otherwise it simply re grows again,the roots also extend some distance underground out from where its growing,if you dig it all up,plants will sprout up from the roots underground.Cutting it down and covering it with leaves will make it grow strongly as soon as spring comes.When that happens you could spray the new regrowth before it gets to high and work on it that way.Unfortunately you are stuck with the stuff for a little while longer,its like a pesky relative that comes to live in your front room,hard to get rid of.Shovel out,start digging,best of luck to you.........
  5. Nasser

Nasser LawnSite Member
    from Texas

This might be a stupid Question but how do I tell the difference?
  6. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

A clump forming or non-suckering bamboo tend to be the smaller varieties,if you dig one up generally the root ball is a solid clump,the suckering varieties tend to be the larger (taller)types,if its a old plant you can generally see new plants growing up from the roots as the fan out from the mother plant,if you dig out the mother plant and leave the roots,new plants will spring up from the old roots.

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

This area is about 85% clumping miniature bamboo(2ft tall bushy bamboo with stalks about the diameter of a pencil) and 15% non clumping bamboo(25 to 35ft tall with stalks about 2 inches in diameter with runners). In this yard it would be impractical to dig up and remove all the bamboo root systems because there is about 10 times more non-clumping and clumping bamboo surrounding the perimeter of the property. The area I am describing is an interior courtyard area that I want to replace with english ivy. If I used landscape fabric or black paper and planted lots of ivy cuttings in there, would I be able to keep the bamboo in check long enough to get the ivy established? Once I get the area full of ivy I believe I can manage the growth of bamboo by breaking off the shoots(non-clumping type) and using a string trimmer across the top of the ivy to trim minature bamboo. Other parts of the yard have well established areas of ivy that I plan on taking cuttings from and transplanting to this courtyard and then watering and fertilizing frequently. By the way, the bamboo has been in this yard for over 25 years.