1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bamboo vs. white pine for border??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Shuter, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use bamboo as a border between two properties? Other option the customer wants is to install white pines. What do you guys think?
  2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Bamboo can be very, very, invasive.

Depending where on the Cape that you are, White Pine can be a little iffy. Will they consider Austrian Pine, Arborvitae, or Privet? There is always Leyland Cypress as well.
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Bamboo can make neighbors very unhappy if it is an invasive variety. Horror stories abound about this. Heed the good advice above.
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I know how invasive bamboo is if not controled, but customer still wants it. I may try to get them to go with cypress tress. Thanks for the replies. By the AGLA, I am talking about Marstons Mills.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I think that there are 2 kinds of Bambo. One kind basically stays where you plant it and doesn't spread. The other kind, well you know what happens.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

When planting bamboo--- rent a trencher and trench 3' deep around the area you are going to plant bamboo in. In this trench, put pieces of plastic/acrylic, etc.(cheap) vertically, and fill the trench with gravel. This will stop the spread, and keep the bamboo where you want it. Bamboo is an awesome/interesting screen. You just have to know how to contain it.
  7. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i like using different varieties of ornamental grasses but not bamboo . i also like the white pine effect as well very easy to maintain versus the grasses!!
  9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to look into a root barrier. I know that there are several available. deeproot.com is one place.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Bambo- will give you job security! You'll always be maintaining it!