Bamboo

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by legacyscape, Apr 7, 2008.

1. legacyscape

legacyscape LawnSite Member

Have any of you guys had any experience with excavating bamboo? push it down with bobcat?? How would you keep it gone, herbicide?? any info or tips appreciated. Thanks, shawn.

2. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

All I have to say is good luck. It is a grass and it is hard to get rid off.

Shawn

3. legacyscape

Shawn, do think us using our bobcat is the way to approach it? I do know they have deep roots so I don't know if it will be more of a mess doing it that way or should I be thinking along the lines of cutting it down and chipping or hauling away??? Shawn Demers.

4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

With bamboo you must remove the entire root system. If a minute amount of root is left it will come back in no time. The process of root removal plus the use of a non-selective herbicide over a long period of time will work.

5. legacyscape

Thanks Mark!

6. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

Yeah, I was going to say that even if you chip it all... that stuff comes back. Just remember that Bamboo is the Largest grass so if you want to get rid of it then you have to think of killing the yard.... Good luck

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Try scraping away the top foot or so of soil that has ANY bamboo in it then go a little further out, replace with clean fill or topsoil.