Bamboo

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnboy30, Sep 20, 2004.

1. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 LawnSite Member

I just got a request from a potential new client to remove, as he put it, a really terrible problem of Bamboo on the side and back of his garage. He wants me to cut it all down and pull the roots. Any suggestions? Any easy way to do this without a skid steer?

I am going to look at it tomorrow. I am also going to put as a recommendation on my proposal to put down river rock or something to that effect.

Thanks for your responses.

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

This was discussed a few weeks back. Do a search on Bamboo and you will find what everyone is saying. From what I read it will be a real pita to get rid of. I have a customer too that want's that gone as well. Growing in from neighbor's yard.

3. lawnboy30

thanks for your reply. After I wrote it I found a few answers on it. Seems like it is indestructable. I'll give it a try with a skid steer and round up.

4. Aproct

Aproct LawnSite Member

skid steer willo take to much of the dirt. I would suggest using a backhoe of some sort. Take it from me, we removed about 1200 sqft of the s*&T from one of our customer's yard. Let's just say, I was ready to just walk off the job. First, depending on the size of the area, cut the actual bamboo down with a chain saw. Get rid of the top sections where ever you dump your debris. Then remove the root balls. The bamboo is a surface root system. I would highly recommend the backhoe and scrap the bamboo root balls out of the ground. You will understand what I am saying after you start. The roots should be picked up and put into some type of a dump to get rid of. There is nothing worst than moving the crap twice. Trust me on that one......

Once all the bamboo is gone, ha! you will have to bring in topsoil to fill in where the bamboo was since you will be taking a majority of the dirt with the roots.

Good luck and charge out the A$$!

5. lawnboy30

Thank you for the advise. I will rent a backhoe and charge for the application as you described it. No need to mess with Round up then?

6. Aproct

Aproct LawnSite Member

Actually, the round up really won't work. Even if you use a sticker with the round up, you will still have a long time for it die off. I just want to for warn you, the bamboo will come back. A little bit. The root system is a ***** to get rid of. If it breaks off while removing it, it will regenerate back. The best cure is to just keep cutting it down after the removal, like running the sprouts over with a mower or something along those lines. Any future use of chemicals will just kill what is around the bamboo. By cutting down the stems, the roots will exhaust itself with growth and will just die off. Just make sure you cya yourself and let the customer know that there is a possibility that the stuff may come back.

Good luck.

7. thill

thill LawnSite Member

APROCT is right on.

Remove as much of the root system as is possible. It is not possible to get it all. Been there, done that.

It will come back ...... and constant mowing or close trimming will eventually exhaust the root system. It will take at least two but more often three seasons in our part of the country.

Good luck with this insidious WEED.

Tom