Banana trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TXNSLighting, Oct 18, 2008.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

For you southerners, When is the best time to cut these things down? Also should i dig em up or just pile mulch on em...I havent been able to get a straight answer on this.

Thanks for the help.

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Do you want to try and get rid of them permanently or are you just trying to cut them back?

Cutting them back: Any time is as good a time as any. You'll probably especially want to cut them down should they sustain freeze damage in winter time.

Removing them: Good luck! Nearly impossible... But, not quite impossible.

3. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

O no they are vital to this poolside tropical landscape. I want to save them for going into next year. I forgot about them last year and lost them. Had to replace them this year.

4. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I would say it would have to depend on the variety of banana..

5. DGM

DGM LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Down in GA, you can cut them down before a freeze and cover them with a good thick layer of mulch, and the'll pop back up next spring.

6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Just regular maroon banana trees.

7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Well i think were in the same zone so i guess that should work.

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I know I'm north, but the ones I have can only sustain a few freezing days. I would imagine as mentioned should give you enough insulation. I have to bring mine inside. They took a few freezing nights, but I brought them in on a 70* day and they are fine. I love them, I want to get some more and actually put them in the ground.

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Yeh i think ill cut em and pile mulch on top. Now im guessing i should do this soon.

10. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 100 banana trees in my yard. The tallest one is 20+ ft high. I no longer cut the stalk off at the ground after a freeze but I will cut off the limbs. I leave the stalk intact throughout the winter. Come spring, I get new growth out of the top and dont have to wait for the tree to grow out from ground level. It does look ugly having a bunch of limbless stalks throughtout the yard but I dont care to wait months for the trees to obtain its original height. Banana trees have high fertilizer/water needs. My trees produce edible bananas. After the fruits produces, the tree will "die off" but before that happens, It will sprout a new seedling shoot tree to replace the dead one. Twice my big tree has put out fruit but I have cut it off because I didnt want it to die back.