1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Banana trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TXNSLighting, Oct 18, 2008.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Well mine are fruitless. Your zone yeh they will survive, but it gets to cold down here for that. I wish i could just cut them back a bit but thats what we did last year and it didnt work. They grow super fast so im not to worried about the height.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

With tropical plants in a cold environment, you can dig them up, cut the limbs and store them in a dark basement over the winter like you would any bulb.

The dark basement should make them go dormant and still survive, almost like cutting them and leaving them in the ground in a warmer environment.

3. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

I know about digging them up, just seeing if its a have to thing.

4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Know one in my area?

5. henri4207

henri4207 LawnSite Member

I have about 40 banana trees in my yard. I just cut them down to the ground and put mulch over them. They come back every year no problems. Just cut them next month or before the first freeze, and even if it freezes, they will still come back, just will be harder to cut down as they get mushy...good luck!

6. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Florida the state extension service has many articles on horticulture. I am sure your state has one too but here is a link that may interest you on Banana trees http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_banana

7. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Great, thank you much! Thats what im going to do.