Banding Hedges ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Kartanimal29, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

I've never heard of this and one of my customer is wanting this done. I guess it keeps the Hedges from falling during a heavy snowfall.

2. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

Burlap bags or string around them. We have to do it every year at one place.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Kartanimal29

from Ct.

This is what they look like. he wants to be able to have them not bend over during a heavy snow fall. There are about 12ft.tall. I'm going to be taking about 1.5 ft. off the tops of them. I told him there going to look like crap till they grow in , he doesn't care. I have no idea what he means by banding them.[​IMG]

4. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen people build a kind of fence out of 1x4's. Rectangular pieces that were then raised up high on cheap 2x4 stilts and layed against the hedge so that it holds the hedge together. It was all tied in. Seemed to work well. It just looked weird.

It looked like a bunch of picture frames attached to upright 2x4's

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Cutting 1.5 feet off the top, means he's making it a squaretop hedge??? around here we wrap with snow fence, but that is mostly for deer... banding just means tieing the top together, usually with a cord running in a spiral pattern from top to bottom... be sure it is cold enough when you do it, as I believe diseases can flourish in that type of environment, but do it before the branches turn rigid from frost...

6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Becuse this type of material is very mature, I understand why the customer wants to have a snow tents made to protect the appearance. To each their own, however I would
    not maintain a customer with material like this due to many problems associated with this type of material and it's age.
    easy-lift guy

7. Kartanimal29

from Ct.

Thanks Guys

8. TurnerLandscape

TurnerLandscape LawnSite Member

are you sure those will have any regrowth by just stub pruning 1.5" feet off the top, what are those, arborvitae of some sort?