1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bandit Model 65 Chipper

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by mowinginva, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in the market for a 6-8" chipper and have come across a Bandit model 65. It is either a '98 or '99 with single feed roller. Wisconsin engine which the owner believes to be 30 hp. I am also told it has 1800-1900 hours. They are asking $5000. I would appreciate any input as to your thoughts on the described machine and what you think of the price. Thanks.
  2. Tyler259

Tyler259 Banned

My neighbor has a 6 inch Vermeer chipper.

Comes in handy but it is slow and you need to cut up notches or points where branches split if they are too big.

Good for a landscaper. What are your main uses for it? Small brush jobs etc... Maybe rent one for a day and see if you even like it.

Overall they are a good small chipper. Brush Bandit has a good reputation with the guys on arboristsite.
  3. mowinginva

We've rented a 6" Morbark and liked it pretty well. I own a tree service business, so it would be used for brush. We usually give away the firewood that the chipper will not chip.
  4. Tyler259

Tyler259 Banned

I would find a nice used Bandit 9 or 12 inch with a diesel engine.

Much faster, more capable machines.

You'd be happier and more efficient.
  5. BeautifulEstatesLandscape

BeautifulEstatesLandscape LawnSite Member

I own a Brush Bandit 65, and love it! It will chip anything under 6 inches, anything over is firewood. Chipped six 40 to 60 foot fir tree's branches in a afternoon.
    Normally they sell for $6,000+ used, so its a pretty good Deal. I got lucky and snagged mine from a rental center that was closing For $3,800. Had a new engine (old one was burning oil) and the paints faded.

If you are doing tree work full time, I'd say get a bigger one just to handle bigger branches, but if you are starting out in tree work, or do landscaping,(like me) I'd say get The bandit.

6. mowinginva

Thanks for the reply. My dad just looked at the Bandit 65 for sale. He said that it's "old" but seems to be a good machine. It has a 4 cyl. air-cooled engine I believe - Wisconsin. He is still considering it. Any other replies are appreciated.
  7. mowinginva

Does the Bandit 65 have auto feed? What I mean is does the feed stop when the engine goes below a certain RPM?
  8. mowinginva

My dad ran some wood through the Bandit. He was impressed. Bought it for $4300 + tax.
  9. Tyler259

Tyler259 Banned

Nice, congrats.
  10. djr623

djr623 LawnSite Member

Ran one this weekend,34hp kohler. Yes it had auto feed, stopped when rpms dropped but it would resume when rpms returned to speed. It was ok,I just walked away and let it do is thing on the bigger stuff. Small stuff was fine. overall I was impressed for what it was, God luck with your new chipper!
    Posted via Mobile Device