bank account

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slammedeuro20, Mar 30, 2008.

1. slammedeuro20

slammedeuro20 LawnSite Member

how do i accept checks from a customer...i have not registered with the state and wondered if i can still collect personal checks

2. LawnCare_EMT

LawnCare_EMT LawnSite Member

yeah you can you just have to have them write it out to you and not your business name. You should consider getting a DBA they are only like $50 and allow you to open up a business checking account. Well worth it when a customer is able to write a check out to the business and not you.

3. LawnCare_EMT

LawnCare_EMT LawnSite Member

Also make sure you write on the receipt that there is a $25 dollar charge for all returned checks.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

You need to open a business checking account with your bank.

5. slammedeuro20

slammedeuro20 LawnSite Member

but do i need to be regitered with the state to have a business checking account.???

6. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Just register with the state and get legal. You will be thankful in the future. Usually you spend more time and money trying to do it the "easy" way than you would just getting legal.

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

No you don't.

8. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Yes! you must because you need to show proof of articules of incorporation or LLC and you need to show proof of you ficticus name...you (DBA) also some banks want your FIEN number which you get from the IRS:hammerhead:

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

To open a bank account all you need is your SS # providing your not going to open a business & do this on the side, however with out getting a DBA,LLC or Inc. nobody will know your out there, but be ready to receive 1099's in the mail when people file there taxes then you'll have to pay taxes on the people that claim your work.

10. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

You do not have to be an LLC or INC to have a business account but you do have to have a DBA!

Go to your bank and get it. Shoot man, are you working on peoples property with out liability insurance and without workers comp exemption or if you employees workers comp?

How do you expect to be taken serious if you cannot even cash a check that is given to you?

Get legal or get out of the business. Sorry to be blunt but you are a danger when you are out there operating like you are right now.