1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Banked Hours

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 4, 2007.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have heard many things about this topic from const. co. all the way to municipal emp. I have some emp. that want to bank their hours starting this coming season. I have heard that i can call is a vacation fund, its illegal idk what to believe. Does anyone have any info or insight on this subject?

2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Against the law. Check with the DOL.

3. dchauling

dchauling LawnSite Member

It's legal in Canada as long as it is on writing by both the employee and employer.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I would think that this could be a nightmare in reagards to keeping track of hours banked and such.....

Do you bank them at overtime or regular rate....

6. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I got back 1/2 time on all my banked hours for two years. If I had 16 hours banked and took two days off with pay, that is straight time. I got back the half time for those 16 hours. Where I worked, this was a common practice for years. When I got fired, I wanted and needed my money. The USDOL went in and did an audit just before Christmas, I got all my half time owed to me over the past two years that the DOL goes back on, so did every employee they had. I fought that with my employer for years, demanding 1 1/2 time off but got nowhere, until the end when they were audited. If I had taken 1 1/2 time off, I would have gotten nothing back.