1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Banking Relationship

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Rob Spread & Spray, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

How is your realtionship with your bank/banker?

Do you use the small locally owned or the big corporate bank?
  2. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Corporate bank. I don't have a real relationship. I have a wife one. They take my money. Thats it. Pretty simple. I have been thinking about changing to a local bank and maybe creating a two way conversation and relationship.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I use peoples bank, which is kind of a regional bank, a hundred or so branches. I don’t love them I don't even like them so why use them that’s easy they are in all the local stop and shops so instead of bank hours they are open to 7 pm on week days and 4 pm on Saturday AND Sunday. With my hours its still tuff to get there but its a hell of a lot better then 3 or 4 pm and no week ends.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I deal with a local bank.

Everyone there knows me, including the president.

If I'm driving around looking at a truck, or a mower, I can call up the president, ask him what interest rate he's going to charge me, and if I decide to buy it, he says ok, how much do you need in your account and when will you be in to sign the papers?

My wife used to have an account in one of the big banks here in MN before we got married, until she went there to get a loan for $3000. They declined her even though she had a CD for $10,000 with that same bank.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

6. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

large banks have more resources and better programs than small banks, typically.

we deal with a large national bank, but we get small bank personal service. Our contact at the bank has given me her home phone number!! (i would never use it, but she is very sincere about servicing our company)

She reconizes my voice on the phone....and i dont call her very often at all. When I do go into the bank, or usually my wife does the deposits for me...this commercial bank officer will always ask how we're doin and keeps our business cards on her desk, along with many other cards of contractors she works with.

So, just because it is a large bank doesnt mean we dont get 'small town' treatment and withthe large bank more opportunities exist
  7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob, Marty(Grunder) has written, i believe a short newpaper blerb, about how he has a very close relationship with his, even to the point of taking him out to lunch/dinner. Just think about it, you only go to the banker when you need money. If you were to keep a good relationship with them, and inform them of all the positives occcuring in the company, they will be much more likely to lend you the funds.
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

My older sister is the manager at a branch of a large bank over here. They're in 3 states, but she's a big shot at her's. She takes care of everything i might need bank related. I don't think i ever had to wait for a check to clear, which helped me out my first year.
  9. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

local bank???

didnt know such existed.....
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I think that would be a waste of money unless your a millionaire like this marty guy. All of his suggestions are geared towards bigger business. And I havent been to the bank in months, but my wife says they are nice.