Banks And Hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mow"N"Bud, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

I wanted to take the time to praise Snapper. Specifically their Pro Hydro Walk-Behinds. I have 2 of these machines, and love them. For small residential lawns they are great, but best of all I mow several properties with ponds and large, long, wide ditch banks, and with Snappers Accutrac Tracking Control they make it, well a snap. I truly enjoy operating these machines, and so does my crew. The loop steering keeps my hands away from walls and fences (a problem I had when I had a pistol grip w/B), and I must also comment on their cut quality. These machines seem to me to be built bullet proof. The Kawasaki Engines run so smooth and quiet. Basically I am just impressed.
  2. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

If anyone else has, have had or plan to buy a Snapper Pro Hydro let me know what you think.
  3. Mowing Buddy

Mowing Buddy LawnSite Member

Snapper needs to wake up and bring the Accutrack back. Their new machines look like the went back 20 years going with the pistol grips and dripping the bar controls. Too bad.
  4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll, too, commend Snapper on building durable machines. I don't own one now; but, I've had several in the past as back up machines. During my tenure as Senior Equipment Operator at the Chattanooga City Parks Dept., I flipped a 48" hydro wb down a 40' hill. It rolled at least 2 or 3 times. After straightening out the air filter, she fired right up. That was 9 years ago. That machine still cuts to this very day!
  5. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

what do you think of this snapper....the guy just bought it used, hates it and is now selling it for a grand. the pull cord is broken, but he said he manually wraps it and fires on the first pull. he said he doesnt like the controls at all, that everything was backwards.

6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy it! Try and haggle him down some... But, 1000 is still a great deal.
  7. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

I am a huge Snapper fan now myself!!! I have just bought their s150x with a 48" cut and 21 HP Kawasaki on it. I love it. I spent the last 2 months demoing mowers and the Snapper always felt the best to me and very strong. My ZTR has 12cc dual pumps that are fan cooled and 15cc wheel motors. Bigger than some others that are compable in its class. I have recomended to a couple other people and they have bought it for themselves and love them also. They will defineteley buy another Snapper also.

I have spent a lot of time in the past on a Scag Tiger Cub. The Scag's are awesome machines and I do really like them. I choose the Snapper because it comes with a 21 hp kawasaki instead of the 19 hp kawi that the Scag comes with. It was also about $1,300 cheaper and I felt the Snapper over the long run would be very comparable as far as durability goes.

I have put 40 hrs. on my s150x and absolutley no problems. Cut quality is AMAZING. Cut quality is as good as anybody out there. If there is one negative, it s the fact that the Snapper doesn't do very well on hills at all even compared to some other ZTR's. Tiger Cubs definetely handle the hills a little better.

I am in the market for a good 36' WB and after my experience with my Snapper ZTR and the dealer I will defineteley be buying a Snapper walk behind. I do agree that they look outdated, but I don't care if they last a while.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have two of the units with loop handles and adjustable deck and they have been reliable machines. The loops have some pretty significant drawback. As they wear they can come unlatched and if one side unlatches you will be in for a real big surprise. Even with the kill working you tend to hang on and it almost throws you down. In addition the loop require a pretty big wing span on you hands and that can wear you out. Some good guy on lawnsite pointed out the you can move those springs and reduce the load and that was a big improvement but we are nearing the end with our units. I actually like the pistol that they went to this year and that will probably be our replacement machine.
  9. BigLag

BigLag LawnSite Member

how much are the new snappers hydro
  10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I bought a snapper pro belt drive, new back in 1995, and its still kicking strong. I have never had any problems with it at all, perfect mower. Other than a few worn belts and tires this unit has provided perfect cuts every time over the past 4000 hrs. that I have owned it.