Banna plants

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by aaacrown, Mar 29, 2008.

1. aaacrown

aaacrown LawnSite Member

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of banna plants. I have cut them down to the ground and sprayed some kind of bruch killer on them. They are so strong i cant get them to die.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Banana Republics survive because the less you do the better they grow. Who ever is in power at harvest time gets the money.

Short of a Ground sterilizer there is nothing I know of that kills bananas.
    If the area is going into turf, regular mowing will keep them from coming back.
  3. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

dig em up probably only a foot or so deep
    maybe just rock them back and forth and they will come out
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Just through some snow on 'em...oh, never mind:laugh:
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Glyphosate as a cut stump treatment is the usual reccomendation for bannana stump resprount control. Spraying water diluted brush killer is not going to do much. Garlon in diesel or basal oil is another option.
  6. mngrassguy

Wow, didn't know diesel is labeled for banna plants. Must be a Hawaii thing. lol
  7. mngrassguy

Sorry. couldn't help myself lol
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Wish I had your problem !

I've been growing basjoo bananas (believed to be the cold-hardiest species) up here in Cincinnati OH for a number of years...and have had only limited successes, in the mildest of winters, overwintering them in the ground outside.

We have sometimes 8'-10' tall banana trees in huge planters, and in the ground too... around our rear deck and patio, along with cannas, elephant ears, etc (as part of a "tropical" theme).

Then around the middle of September I take the banana 'pups' (that I'd earlier root-pruned to 'wean' them from mommy) and move them into pots to bring them inside and actually turn them into house plants for the winter!
    The "big basjoo" parent plants are then gradually swaddled up for the winter (ususally right where I had them in the landscape) then I cross my fingers that they survive.

Wanna learn more?
    Go bananas here ! :laugh:
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, it is on the Garlon 4 label to dilute the product with diesel for basal bark or cut stump treatments. I do more than lawns. I am also right-of-way and industrial certified. Some of the things I have had to kill are big. As in a ficus stump 5 feet in diameter.
  10. mngrassguy

Wow, I stand corrected. Thought I knew it all. Never used Garlon but I've herd of guys doing that. We were told it wasn't legal here by the Dept of Ag