banned?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by recliner5, Aug 30, 2007.

1. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

A while back like last year I read here that they were thinking about ( if my memory serves me) taking Merit off the market. Was this Merit or some other brand? Thanks Terp

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I sure hope not!! I haven't heard anything about that.

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I doubt it cuz I heard several other companies are selling it this year (under their own name) for less money -- this prompted Bayer to do the rebate thing.

4. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

There was a lot of noise about MSMA last year

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I hear they're thinking of pulling diazinon off the market. I think I may have heard something a few weeks ago about chlordane also being banned ;)
    But seriously, it is probably the MSMA as mentioned above that you may have heard. There was alot of rumble about that.

6. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, good news for all of us. Merit is coming off patent which should cause products with Merits AI in them to drop significantly in price. Next time you are at your supplier see if Merit products have sale prices on them. The reason being, even though insecticides are in season right now in most of the country is that suppliers want to get rid of their stock before next year.

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

To be honest, there IS talk about Merit. It is off the market in France due to the decrease in honey bees. Some are drawing a correlation in the decrease in honey bees in America to Merit applications. It is used pretty heavily in Ag. and Hort. markets. The next few years will be very interesting. Maybe Meridian and others will fill any void that may or not be coming.

8. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

along with the correlation of cell phone usage deterring honey bees.

9. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Merit is off patent. Bought a product called Imidpro this spring and it worked great.

MSMA is coming off the market. This will be the last year for it is what my salesman told me. I bought 8 extra cases this year to stock up on for early apps next year. I don't use it much because of a solid pre-emerge program. Looks like Drive will be the next best thing.

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I was speaking too generally I guess. I'll change my quote. "To be honest there IS talk about Imadicloprid." I googled "imidacloprid, honeybees" last night. Kind of interesting, but not earth shattering, the world is ending kind of stuff. Just something to watch. Nothing would happen for a few years anyway, I'd imagine.