Banner Max?? Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Apr 20, 2013.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Thinking about adding this to my rotation but I've learned from you guys to rotate and use a different (forget the word here) action or AI each time and some fungicides use the same AI so not sure if Banner is the same as any of what I'm currently using or which to replace it with?

http://www.syngenta.com/country/au/...s/Labels/BANNER MAXX TURF FUNGICIDE Label.pdf

I'm currently using Clearys in the spring followed by Heritage or Eagle20 and back to Heritage or Eagle for the last application of the summer depending on what I used last.

Thanks Guys

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Banner Max and Eagle have the same MOA. In addition, Banner has a substantial growth regulator effect. Cleary 3336, then Heritage, then Eagle is a good rotation. Heritage is the best out of the three for brown patch. You might consider adding Prostar to the rotation if brown patch gets bad. However, Prostar does nothing for Dollar spot and Leaf spot.

3. kirk1701

Mode of Action [​IMG]
    That's the term I couldn't think of.

So sounds like the rotation I have I'm doing the right thing and should leave best enough alone. Only thing with Prostar is the price, WOW!!! :laugh:

4. greendoctor

But it works. Cost of chemicals is a relative thing to me. There are no seeds for the turfgrasses used here except for common bermuda or zoysia japonica. Sod will cost up to $6 per sq ft installed. Letting a lawn die or be taken over by weeds is not an option. The most expensive chemical treatment programs still come out less than what it costs to re plant a lawn.

5. kirk1701

Oh I can understand that, but my rotation seems to be working and if I "do it right" which I sometimes wait till its too late then need Heritage.

Which is why I sometimes I might use Eagle as the second app and have the Heritage for the third just as a "emergency" app :laugh:

6. greendoctor

If it is working keep it up. Actually, Prostar is used as an additive to Banner or Eagle. On badly diseased lawns, I have used 3336, Prostar, and Subdue Max as a tank mix. This was on mismanaged lawns during a time of high heat and humidity. A properly mowed and fertilized lawn has not needed such an extreme treatment. Proper fertilization does not mean starvation either. But, it is the lawns that are turned plastic green from too much urea that have more problems.

7. kirk1701

WOW!! I thought using one at a time was bad enough but all three at one time :laugh:
    But I guess, in your neck of the woods, like you said "letting it die is not an option".

8. greendoctor

I have yet to find a homeowner willing to swallow a $5 per sq ft or more re sod. Never mind a landscaper. I used that mix when I was employed by a landscape and maintenance company. $500 worth of chemicals was cheap compared to $10,000 worth of sod. The boss loved me because I could save lawns that were either 50% weeds or eaten up by disease. I would do it again in a heartbeat if the need arises. Those chemicals are part of my permanent inventory. I do not go anywhere without at least 3336 or Eagle on the truck.

9. kirk1701

Here's a question for you greendoc

I have some Chelated Liquid Iron I'm thinking of adding to the mix each month when I do my treatment?

Won't help on the fungicide I know but will help keep the grass a tone greener what you think?

10. greendoctor

Don't say that. Iron and other micronutrients are helpful in the overall health of the lawn, including resistance to disease. On those same lawns getting that expensive three way fungicide treatment, I would formulate the fungicide in a liquid fertilizer containing iron, potassium and ammonium. From then on, those lawns would not see any slow release, SCU, PSCU, or urea. If the lawn turns greener from iron applied as a spray, it probably needed it.