Banner Max?? Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Apr 20, 2013.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

No, the answer is no if your post is in response to my comment.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You can do it, just watch your rates. Less in hot weather, more in cool weather. Build up high enough iron levels in the lawn and diseases might be less of a problem.

3. greendoctor

Sad to say that most of those AIs are used by golf courses that order by the pallet and have a better chemical budget than a lawn person. So, other than off patent bifenthrin or glyphosate(which I will not touch) I do not see much generics here.

4. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Might be this week
    I'm looking ahead at these temps combined with the rain and I'm thinking humidity so its getting late enough in the season its time.

[​IMG]

5. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Well it's a different animal for one thing. What I save goes into my pocket. What you spend comes out of the members budget and pockets and they might be interested to know you're spending more than you may need to.

Now you may be getting special agency pricing and certainly more efficient pricing because of quantity, but the same savings would be applied to less expensive products made from the exact same materials.

Not trying to start a beef. Just sayin I get and actually guarantee for hire the use of generic blends and have great success.

You might too.

6. greendoctor

I would love to have generic insecticides and fungicides here, but due to lack of demand, they are not sold. Because I order some Agency priced products like Merit WSP in large quantities, that is actually not bad per dose. But if I were to buy the 4x1.6 oz bag, that would be about twice as much as the 110 pack Mini drum.

Generic glyphosate has failed on me. Brand name RoundUp ProMaxx has always worked for me. BTW, I seldom am applying glyphosate in small garden or parking lot areas, I am doing it for burndown of acreage.

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Just out of curiosity, of the 17 weeds in the U.S. that are known resistant to Glyphosate(at least that's what it was), how many do you have in Hawaii? I am told we have 9 of them in Arkansas.

8. greendoctor

None that I know of. However, there are tropical vines and weed trees that are inherently resistant. Exclusive use of glyphosate in non crop areas will cause succession of species to inherently resistant weeds. A horrible mess was caused when the DOA restricted 2,4-D, Paraquat, and Diquat. Thankfully, the restrictions on 2,4-D and Diquat have been rescinded. However, RoundUp is PC, the other herbicides are not.

9. greendoctor

To add, some large grassy weeds are also inherently tolerant of glyphosate as well. What is needed to take those down is a high rate of glyphosate and/or Arsenal or Velpar. I am not spraying crabgrass or orchard grass growing out of sidewalk cracks. This is to take down grass that is 6 ft or taller.

10. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely do a jar test (compatibility test) before you mix these two together in your tank.

A few years ago, a friend of mine mixed some powdered thiophanate-methyl (generic Clearys 3336) and some average liquid chelated iron together in his 200 gallon sprayer. I formed a large mass of sludge! It tooks him a couple weeks and many gallons of ammonia to get it out of his tank.

Check the MSDSs of your products to find the pH. Often, very high pH and very low pH products don't mix well.