Bar Lights anyone use them?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by landscaper3, Nov 4, 2000.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We would like to get a 56" or a 60" Whelen bar light for our 97 F350. We have found a Towmans Edge new with 8 strobes, 2 take down lights and 2 alley lights. Directly through Whelen there cost is $1200.00 through a distributer we found the same light for $649.99 just curios if anyone has one for we are being forced by the D.O.T to run a DOT regulated lights on our trucks do to plowing and maintaining city and town roads and summer maintenance on main roads and this barlight falls in there specs. Plus it looks real nice and the price doesnt worry me that much at least the $650.00 doesnt I would be hard pressed to dish out $1200.

2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Oh those kind of bar lights, I was going to refer you to Iowastorm I think he is putting a revolving Bud Lite sign on top of his new dump truck.As for ambers are you sure you have to have that big of a light for the D.O.T. We plow the local airport and we just use twin rotators called a mini bar made by federal signal which is the same one used by our D.O.T. They only run about $100 and are visible for forever.

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Whelen 9308 8 strobe 2 alley and 2 rear work lights that i got from Galls for$799 list was over $1,250 at the time now they are around $839.I think long as you have some kind of warning light on your truck you should be all right I don't know any such thing unless it's something new that your have to have a bar and not just a cheap stobe or two or rotory.Let us know what you do.

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Try the Whelen mini edge. More than enough light power and half the cost of the towman's edge. The only benefit to the towman's edge is it provides signal lights, this light is really only need for tow trucks. The mini edge is a lot easier to install, and uses a lot less power.

Geoff

5. snow

snow Guest

If you're looking for a lightbar, but want to save some $$$ <a href="http://www.lightbars.net">click here</a>! they sell reconditioned light bars for about half the price. there is an 8 strobe model on their site for $375 and a lot of other bars from 4-10 strobe. Also,you might just be able to get one of the $100 mini-light bars galls sells. if you want even more lighting look into a power supply and strobes for your truck. you could get a 6 head power supply w/ a 3 light dot system for under $400 new!<a href="http://www.strobesnmore.com">click here</a>. <b>I soon will be selling Nova strobes, i'm going to be placing an order soon. </b>

hope this helps,

Bryan

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Snow:

How are you going to sell these lights? How are you going to market them? What models and types do you plan on selling?

Geoff

7. snow

snow Guest

I already have a lot of interest in the lights. I get them factory direct. I plan to sell to anyone that wants one, a lot of people in my fire department are interested, and i think a lot of people on the forum would be. I can get ANY Nova product. I will be calling Whelen soon to setup an account.

Bryan

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard the term "jule" used describing lights before. I had never heard it before. I've heard candlepower, lumens, and watts. I was leafing through my pocket reference (book) and came across conversions for lighting. To make it a little clearer for others here, one "jule" is equal to one watt. That's simple enough. Guess it sounds fancier using the term "jule".

So an 8 jule light, is an 8 watt light.

~Chuck

9. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

The joule power is the brightness of flash look at the ones am AW Direct has http://www.awdirect.com
    the higher the joules the brighter it is like ones from napa,car quest and vip are only 4 to 6 joules and dot ones are 40 joules wich are 80watts. I belive you double the joules and thats the watts acording to the light book anyways.

[Edited by landscaper3 on 11-06-2000 at 03:43 AM]

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Well the pocket refernce has the conversions for joules to just about anything else. Including BTU's, volts, watts, Ergs, kw-hours and a bunch more. You multiply the # of joules by the figure given in the conversion table, to convert. To convert to watts, its a "1" in just about every watt catagory. Some are watts per hour, watt-seconds, even horsepower.

For watts, they list:

joules to watt-second ....multiply by: 1.000165

joules/second to watts........ multiply by 1.000165

This is what I went on. I could be wrong.
    Makes sense though from what you say. A 4 watt flash would not be very bright compared to an 80 watt flash.
    I don't understand how a 40 joule can put out 80 watts given the conversion above though.

~Chuck