bar tires...worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Nov 15, 2001.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have chains for my turf tires on a lawn tractor used to plow snow, but don't cut it. I can get super lug tires and rims for a total of $190 + tax. Does anyone have these tires? If so, are they worth $190? I could cut the price down to $70 + tax w/out rims, but is it hard to switch tires? Thanks

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried adding any weight to your tractor?? I tried bars and they didn't work as well as turfs w/ chains. I added about 400 lbs. of weight to an old JD 318 garden tractor and it moved snow, gravel and dirt very well. :) ;) :) ED

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Why switch? Are they the tires like ERIC has on his 430? (see link) They dont tear up the turf unless you spin. My Dad just put a pair on his JD 318 and added water and antifreeze to them. They each weigh 81 lbs now! He then adds 50lb wheel weights to each wheel and hangs 150 lbs off the rear. The chains were just tearing up the sidewalks and pavement. We'll have to see how they do this winter. What type of mower is this?

P.S. Hope you dont mind my posting your tractor Eric! ;)

jd tires.jpg

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've only been plowing for 26 years and I've tryed both ways. Chains in my opinion SUCK. If there is nothing for them to grab, they are worthless.

I've used the bar tires on this 430 JD for the past 11 years and it will go about anywhere, plow snow up hill, back up hill, you name it. I put chains on a 332 with turf tires and it wouldn't even pull up my driveway on a dry day.

Bar tires and some weight is the best combo there is.

BTW TLS, no problem on posting the tractor Picture.

5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a crapsman deluxe LT that I just use for plowing snow and run over turf for aerating etc. I have put chains and wheel weights on em (50# cast iron weights meant for a deere as opposed to crapsman's 30#ers). It don't work like I want em to, and i'd like bar tires. When I do aerating etc. the turf might be soggy, and I am afraid it would leave indentions after it dries up. I know the big farm tractors leave big tracks, don't know about these. Do they do ok all season?

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Eric-Your statement about chains suckin' when they don't have anything to grab is partly true, in my opinion. Wouldn't some weight on the tires help put pressure on the chains so they are forced to not slip? We have chains on our tractor that weighs about 1,500-2,000 lbs. and it does just fine. The tires are also calcium filled to add weight. I could be wrong about this, but weight seems to be the key with chains.

7. dmbhmg

dmbhmg LawnSite Member

I plow with my four-wheeler,(and its four wheel drive) but, I've put tire chains on it , and some weight.....like 150 lbs. The chains and weight really helped my situation.

How about a good set of used turfs, with inner tubes, and
    studs?(like for a snowmobile..), plus some extra weight?:confused:

8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a 4wd Kaw Prairie 4wheeler - with a "big foot kit" it didn't even spin!:p

The 345 has weights hung on the back of it - it hasn't snowed enough here in the past two years to try it out very well yet!:mad:

JD with 5' Moose

:cool:

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Alta,

Nice rig. Just watch the pavement and concrete walks with the chains! The damage is permanent! BTW, where or what is this 5' Moose?

10. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

TLS,
    I only use it for my, my paerents, and Neighbors' drives - I don't offer any snow removal services ..yet!:)

That blade is for a 4 wheeler ordered from Cabellas. I made the mount for the JD345 - which lifts from the deck hydrolics. I have about 300.00 in it, rather than 600.00 for the JD model.

Good point about the chains.:eek: