1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bar Tires??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DavidR, Jan 18, 2008.

1. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I have been thinking of putting some bar tires on the back of my garden tractor. It is a JD 100 series with a 17hp motor. I use it to haul stuff around as well as aerate. I will be getting a bigger aerator and already have some problems with slipping around the yard.

Has anybody tried this and what were the results? Also what size should I get? Any recommendations for brand as well?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what a bar tire is, but it's possible you just need new tires...
    With yard machines they don't have to be down to racing slicks to create slippage.
    Plus you might have a low tread tire like a Turf Saver, since it's a lawn rider.

Some slippage is normal, one must understand a tire that never slips, tears turf instead.

Get Turf Masters, if they make them for your machine.
    Another way to say it is, get the grippiest turf tire they make.
    Any grippier than that you'll just tear up the lawn.
  3. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the lug tires, like tractor tires. I use this lawn tractor as a utility tractor primarily pulling pulling a dump cart and, soon to have aerator. I recently purchased a ZT so I no longer use this one to cut grass.

I noticed that it tends to slip sometimes with the dump cart so I'm afraid this will be an issue with the aerator, particularly if I get one over 40" or so.
  4. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Wheel weights ?