Bar Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lahanko, Aug 19, 2003.

1. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Has anyone put bar tires on their ZTR.
    The lack off traction is driving me crazy.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had them on 2 Grasshoppers as standard equipment. Contrary to popular belief, they DON'T tear up turf. I have a friend that has them on his JD ZTR and he like them too. You can find them for really good prices at: http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com/search1.asp?cat=LG

3. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

Ordered the Carlisle Super Lug.
    I'll let ya know how I make out.

4. PPLMike

PPLMike LawnSite Member

Cool, Mowerman. I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Ive thought about the super lugs, Ill be waiting for your response....Marks Mowing Service-or Mark P

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Lahanko,

What brand/size ZTR is it that you are having a traction problem with?

A lot can be done with just weight distribution.

The crabgrass this year is making for some slippery rides!

7. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

TLS,
    We have a Toro Z-Master 150 with a 52-inch deck and 20 hp motor.
    The mower just can’t hold the hills. When we have prefect condition, not too wet and not too dry (worse than too wet) we’re ok but anything else, forget it.
    I kept telling myself it must be me not the mower but now my wife refuses to use the mower.
    Before we got the Z-Master we used a 1994 14hp Toro garden tractor. In order to do this the tractor had to be equipped with rear chains. When the chains wore out I put a pair of bar tires on, Power Trac I think and they worked fine also.
    I look at it this way. We can learn to be careful about tearing up the turf with the bar tires but we can’t stop it with the Turf Master tires on it now. It has flat out aggravated me enough.

A question that needs to be answered here is whether or not the new tires will fit on the mower. Originals are 23 x 9.50 x 12. I had to order the 23 x 10.50 x 12. Not a lot of clearance with the gauge wheels on the deck.

8. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

lahanko,

I too will be eagerly awaiting your results. I've held off mostly due to what I've heard about them tearing turf.

9. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

lahanko,

I too have a Toro Z-Master, but with a 44-inch deck and also have this problem. I have two workers that will not run the thing unless it is on flat ground. Let me know how the tires work out for you.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

So you ordered these?
    [​IMG]

They are a pretty aggressive tire! My Dad has them on his JD 318 tractor. If its any kind of wet of soft, they will leave impressions in the turf.

Good Luck with them. Let us know how it goes.

jd 318 w blower sm.jpg