Bar tread tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLC, Apr 29, 2001.

1. RLC

RLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Anyone use the bar tread tires. I bought a new Husqvarna 1542 lawn tractor because I thought it would serve my needs on the bigger jobs. But it wants to spin going up the steeper hills. I was wondering if the bar tread tire be alright on the grass or would it rip it up.I think it would help get me up the hills and hold me on the sides of them too. The mower works great and is working out very well for the mowing that I do. Let me know what you guys think about the tires or if you have another idea let me know
    . Thanks Ed
  2. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use bar tread tires on my Dixies. You have to exercise some caution on your turns to keep from roto-tilling, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine. It'll certainly help with the hills.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I put bar tires on my JD 430 and I mowed with them back when I used it for mowing. It would handle a 90 degree hill. :D J/K

It would climb hills much better than with the turf tires that came on it. Just be careful turning real sharp when the ground is soft. I use bar tires on all my equipment now. If you want to see the ones on the JD and the Choppers, there are several pictures of them on my equipment page on my website.