1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

barbed wire 12.5 gauge

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by captken, Dec 6, 2005.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello, its been a while since my last post. Been too busy working and running my company to post..I still read new posts however.
    Now that Winter is here, I need to build some fences. About 5 miles worth! It has to be a 5 strand barbed wire fence. [to keep cows in]

My question is where do I buy wire for the least purchase amount.

I am favoring Red Brand 12.5 gage. best price found for a 1320' roll is $56.00. ouch!
    This will keep my crew busy on MY FARM!

Is there a website or source you know of that has discount prices?

I figure to need 100 rolls. Not counting T-post, staples, corner posts, ect
  2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Captken, You give any thought to running electric fence with a solar charger? Seems to me to be easier to put in place, maybe a tad cheaper, possibly the same after adding the charger.
  3. captken

however, I want to install a no maintence fence. Any other suggestions?
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

No such thing as a "no maintance" fence...
  5. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

You could try asking some of the local farmers if you know any or the local natural resource conservation service (NRCS) office if you have one. We have a local NRCS office nearby that has all kinds of information for farmers. They even have programs that help pay for fencing if you're trying to keep cows out of streams. Might be worth looking into.
  6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL, aint that the truth, animals will work a hole in the fence accidentally find a hole in the fence, destroy the fence and sometimes just plain jump over the darn thing. Funny thing to see a city boy or gals reaction when told of a 1200# or better cow jumping over a fence.
  7. captken

Thanks, I have talked to the nrcs in my county. They have evaluated other needs and have allocated funds for the construction of a levee. I am looking for a contractor as we speak.
    They do not have programs to address the condition of the other 2 levees, [beavers] [I am talking to Wild Life Services about this] nor am I aware of any assistance for fencing. That bears looking into.

I am listed USDA as a farmer [I like lawn service and landscaping better] and as such receive assistance from the Farm Services Administration.
    I know that no fence is maintenance free. I think the fence I want to build will last a long time, with little maintenance. Not knocking the electric fence, I still need to build more than one strand, and it has to be barbed. I am looking to buy barbed wire to fence approximately 1-1.5 miles. [5 strand]
    I want to use 12 ga. 4 prong class III galvanized barbed wire. I plan on using my guys to do this rather than to lay them off until Spring, they worked their hearts out for me this Summer and I hate to let them go. I need to improve my land, so why not use MY guys? Christmas in near and I do not want to lay off anyone.
  8. captken

I have racked my brain trying to find out where to buy barbed wire on line. I also need T-posts and twists. Staples I can find easy enough

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

there is no cheep way to do this
    u could do 3 wire and a top wire of elec that will keep them off the fence and if they push its barbed underneath
  10. captken

You are right about that. I do not want to put up a 3 strand barbed wire fence period. I do not want it electrified.
    The is in the country and I live in a city. I cannot travel there every day.
    I want to construct a 5 strand barbed wire fence, just like the surrounding fences, and want to build to the best quality.
    The best quality barbed wire is 12.5 ga. with 4 pt. barbs. I need to find information on buying approximately 30 rolls galvanized [1320ft per roll] at a discount.
    thanks in advance, kennyl.