barberry problems

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mark2, Dec 17, 2002.

1. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Why did the barberry plants loose there leaves so early. I can't find any pest on them. They are planted under white pines and surrounded by juniper. What pest are they prone to. I hope they come back this spring.

2. MD Land Management

MD Land Management LawnSite Member

Barberry Plants In the North East Lose their leaves in about October or Novemember, they keep coming back every year at all my customers houses more beutiful then ever. :p

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I concur! Look real close again - you should be able to see next year's buds.

Bob

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't you had some very cold weather already? I concur with the others.

5. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Barberry are decidous, they start the leaf drop after the first freeze. Crimson variety seem to hold on the longest in z8. Leaf on new growth stems hold on the longest, prune in jan/feb. With Regards... devildog

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Barberries are like thistle...almose impossible to kill...great plants all around...I doubt very much they are dead unless they were planted completley improperly....and I cant imagine how even a moron could not plant a successful barberry...I have many and planted many at clients....all dropped leaves in Nov and all look fine

7. snowbound

snowbound LawnSite Member
    from Buffalo

What type are you referring to?

8. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Great plants with nice color.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Barberry is on the $%^& list as a non-native invasive species up here. You can still use it, but the hard core environmentalist people go nuts. (no, I'm not one of them)

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

AGLA...man thats weird....you would think the treehuggingsnailkissers would be happy to have a plant that never needs chemical spray, grows almost anywhere with no soil amending, and can be kept under control with a little bit of pruning...go figure