1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mower_babe, Sep 7, 2003.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Again. Another question...I read that I can trim barberry shrubs darn near to the ground, ie. rejuvenation. In the past, all I have done is basic trimming of them, nothing extreme, and there are a few that are looking rather beastly and could use a cut. Has anyone actually trimmed barberry, ala rejuvenation? And how did it recover the next season? Thanks!
  2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Same concept with Azaleas, Rhody's, Yews and many others

They look the best the second year
  3. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Barberry, huh. Man they do look good in a landscape, but I hate trimming them. I haven't done a total cut back on any, but I've come close. They've always come back looking great. I always cut out any dead wood when I cut them back that far, too.
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

M-B - go ahead and take them to the ground. They will recover nicely next year to a manageable size. I have several properties that I treat shrubs as perennials and prune to the ground year after year. This method of pruning works good on potentilla, spirea, barberry, some varieties of hyrangea, some euonymous and other deciduous shrubs. The bushes stay small and manageable.
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Usually i take them down to knee level. Never taken one down to the ground to rejuvenate. Usually all the new growth when you shear one up makes it look great.
  6. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

Hey M-B, you can take barberry all the way down and it come back beautiful. I think cutting a pigmy back all the way would not be a good idea. Barberies are a pretty bush. Have a blessed week. Tara'
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Mower Babe,

Here is a quote from this site.

"Some suggestions for pruning shrubs is offered by Jay Windsor Agricultural Agent,University of Delaware Cooperative Extension

1. Barberry - Cut all 3-year-old wood back to the ground."
  8. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

so, guys if I choose to complete this mission...what month? Any suggestions, besides prayer?

zone 5.

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Now. Before it gets cold. This will also give it time to recover from the harsh stressful operation before next spring.
  10. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I thought you hated barberries.????

How about pruning them at the ground with a shovel?:D