BarcoProducts / Plastic Timbers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Jan 24, 2002.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering using these for a retaining wall around a base for a hot tub that will be about 3' high x 16' long and two side support walls. They sound like a better alternative to the pressure treated pine in their life expectantcy since they are guaranteed for 25 years. I called the company and asked about them and they said they are hollow and have flush ends where you can cut them every 2' and will send me a 2' sample via UPS. Just wondering if anyone else has seen or used them. Each one is 5.5" x 5.5" x 8' and weighs less than 40lbs. Their website http://www.barcoproducts.com/landscaping/timbers.html

2. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I think this is the same thing that I saw advertsed in a magazine about two years ago and called for the free sample that you will be receiving. It looks like it would hold up but my concern was that they weigh a ton! That little two foot section feels like a four foot timber. I was also concerned with the nailing holes that they hae in the pieces. If you needed to do any stange angles (anything other than a 90 degree) it would leave an ugly look. Just my 2 cents

3. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

Barco will drown you in JUNKMAIL dude! My free sample has been followed by millions of cataloges...drives me crazy!:blob3:

4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Another factor to check out is the potential UV damage that results in fading or other degradation. Plastics are suspectible to UV damage.

5. brentsawyer

Thanks for your input Lanelle, mow jo and neighborguy. I have been reading and thinking and have a little more info to post. First, I am buying a miter saw that I really need for other projects and can use it to cut the timbers smoothly. Second, I was thinking the opposite on the weight issue. The 8' sectiions weight only 35lbs, seems a little light. Third, these will be in a yard that receives absolutely no direct sunlight, it has more of a dampness problem being in Cincinnati, if you've been there in the winter, you know what I mean.

6. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

:confused:Mitre saw to cut timbers????? It will need to be a monster. I have personally never seen one that would be big enough. Maybe one of those big dewalts could get 1/2 way through if you can get the timber under the blade, but I haven't tried one so I couldn't say with any certainty. I would still prefer to use a skil saw to cut timbers in the feild. Makita makes a 16"(?) skil saw available at most rent-all shops. My 8" dewalt makes it possible to get through with 2 swipes but I take 3 for acurate alignment.

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

MoJo,
    Call them & tell them to take you off of their list. They have to stop by law if you request it.

I agree with Digin, I wouldn't use a miter saw to work with these. I have an 8" Circular Saw and get good cuts in 2 swipes with that. If you're doing a lot of this work, definitely get the 16" saws.

35 pounds is definitely lighter than the wood versions, though I haven't actually weighed a wooden one. As far as the UV problem goes, most of the old wooden walls I see have faded to a much lighter color over time also. So if there was a way to find out how long that takes for the plastic ones, they still may be a good option for some situations. I'm thinking they are a good idea for playground applications. Some fading is a better option than kids getting splinters IMO. Just make sure the customer knows about this potential problem before hand.

8. brentsawyer

Just received my free sample via Ups last night. The color is not bad and has a natural textured look. The 2' cut areas are kindof thin and if I were to use a circular saw, my precision would not be good enough to be compared with a miter saw with thin carbite blade, all I have to do is flip it over, I will also be purchasing SCMS saw so it will have an even cut across the timber. The UV light ordeal should not be a problem since they will be in the shade and too add the timbers are made of polyethalane which has an added UV stabilizer. Hopefully I'll get to see how they work.

9. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

BRL

Oh yeah...thanks man!:D

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm bringing this one back up to see if we can find anyone that has used them (or another brand??)??

I talked to a contractor who used a different brand many years ago & he said they warped while sitting on his truck waiting to be installed, & that they had a heck of time doing the install because of it. Technology may\probably\hopefully has improved since then & it may not be an issue now, but I was hoping to hear from someone that may have used them. During my research I have come across another company with a very similar seeming product that is slightly lower in price (sample should be here by tomorrow or next day to compare with Barco). The company is SelecTech www.selectechinc.com

I found a few other companies making recycled plastic timbers, but their prices were double & triple these 2 companies. Those companies seemed to be more geared toward building docks & piers, so the plastic seemed heavier gauge at the least, but I'm assuming overkill for my purposes. So now I'm wondering what the difference could be between the Yugos' and the Mercedes' of recycled plastic timbers. Anybody????

Thanks for any input.