Bare Root Lillies How Long can I store them before planting?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SuperShovel, Sep 22, 2003.

1. SuperShovel

SuperShovel LawnSite Member

I bought 350 bare root 'rocketcity' lillies and I have been delayed from planting them. Picked them up from the nursery 4 days ago. Any hints on storage and anyone know how long before they have problems.

The nursery recommended planting them the day I got them, but thanks to their late delivery I wasn't able to.

Thanks for any advice
    ~Tom

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I wouldnt wait no more than a few days. What i do the night before i plant them is soak them in buckets of water. If you have to wait longer than a day or so then i would wrap them in a damp piece of burlap.

3. SuperShovel

Thanks for your advice NCSU. Show's what I know about bare root plants. I was worried about keeping them dry until I planted them.

4. SuperShovel

Well to anyone who might read this I did more research and you want to keep them from drying out but not too moist or they will grow mold. For long periods of time there are diff methods like refrigeration and planting them in a trench and such, but I don't have any experience with that.

And ofcourse NCSU is right soaking them in buckets of water before planting seems to be the thing to do.