1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bare root Sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MowingisMaddness, Jan 20, 2006.

1. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

2. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats interesting...I have never heard of that.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That does sound interesting,I do know that direct contact with air kills roots..so you may get more loss from that.But it is definitely something I woulden't mind doing some experimentation on that's for sure.
    Did not look at the prices either but if they are high
    that would null out any savings you would get in shipping costs.
    I will have to say..I have had no problems with regular sod with dirt attached establishing quickly here at all.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I Just don't see the sense. I can get sod delivered for less than .27 a sq ft. sure they charge me a 15 dollar pallet fee but I get that back when they pick them up. That and the crap soil we have here that is just another 1/4 inch of topsoil I have go put down.
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

The only advantage i see is it would be lighter so maybe it would be good for big jobs
  6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder how well it stays together. I know when they skimp on the dirt on our sod it falls apart really easily.