Bare spots on lawn from dog and salt.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RedMax Man, May 6, 2007.

1. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a client with a nice lawn that is a few years old and is fertilized and irrigated. They have a big old lab that left a few dead bare spots when he did his business so they want them patched. I'm going to clean out the dead grass and rake out the spots then add a bit of new top soil. Should i just get some seed or use some of that bagged green lawn patch stuff ( looks almost like hydro seed) Whats the best easy fix? Would it also work along curbs on some lawns that were damaged by salt and ice melt?

Thanks in advance for your input.
  2. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

lime, lime will reverse the acidic ness of both the salt, and dogs stuff.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with packer on the lime on reversing the acidity of the soil first. I used that exact green patch stuff on my grandparent's lawn on a few dead spots and now, 3 weeks later it is growing in very nicely. I raked out the dead junk and put about an inch or so of fresh soil down then raked in a little loose seed then covered it with that scott's lawn patch stuff. Just let the customer know the patch stuff is very water intensive, water in the morning and evening for the best results. Good luck. And it will work around curbs, etc
  4. RedMax Man

thanks man, i've thought of that but its had dead spots since last fall when i did the leaf cleanup so if i just add some lime then new Rhizomes from the surrounding lawn area will just fill in? there are also 2 or 3 larger areas where some leaves were left to long and worn out spots where a swing set used to be.
  5. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

I have a yellow lab and he causes bare spots every year. A few things I've learned during the last 6 years.

1. The Scotts patch stuff is ver wanter intensive and for the cost, doesn't seem to be very worth it. I'm using it right now to "give it one last try". You will not see growth for around 10 days. It has come back pretty decent though.

2. Putting down gypsm....doesn't do a whole lot. Someone once told me that would help.....not at all.

3. Lime will reduce the amount of bare spots, because your neutralizing the soil. It's hard to completely prevent bare spots by using matter how hard you try or how much you put down.

4. The best thing you can do is this. Get one of those 5 gallon buckets, a bag of Scotts lawn soil and a bag of grass seed. Fill the bucket 3/4 full of with the scotts dirt. Note that you can use regular black dirt, but the scotts soil will get things going quicker. Then put 2-3 shovels of seed (normal spade shovel size) and then mix it up in the bucket. I use a small tupper wear container to scoop and place the mixed dirt and seed in the patches after I've removed the dead grass. Water the area thoroughly after placing the dirt/seed mixture. I make sure I water this area once a day for the first week, then I'm usually ok, unless it's very dry out.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  6. RedMax Man

These people also have a yellow lab. thanks for the advise, i plan on doing that.