Barefoot Yards Pics

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Nov 15th . oops

2. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

How o you keep your yard that nice without water in the summer? Any tips would be appreciated because thats one of the nicest lawns ever.

3. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Compost top dressings, tea and mycorrhizae. We only watered three times this past summer in August due to lack of rain. As long as your soil has good OM counts (these yards are 3 to 4% - growing to 5%+) and tea and is mycorrhizael then 1 inch of rain every 2 to 3 weeks is plenty of water. If you don't get rain you will have to water. One good indication here in KY is if you can take a spike sprinkler and it easily pushes into the ground in drought times you have pretty great soil (ie. lots of OM). My yard you can push it in pretty easy. Compost is king (for getting good OM counts).

We got nothing (rain) in August (minimal at best) so we ran a sprinkler once per week 3 times - for about an hour.

What you see though has been seeded and irrigated heavily since - but the grass was green and not burned up when we started with only 3 waterings all summer. Mycorrhizae is key - to draught resistance.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

NICE grass man , good work!!!

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

All I can say is SWEET and nice job

6. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

WOW....looks really nice Barefoot. I'll have to post some pics of my yard as well. I used the Smart Seed also and was really happy with the results.

7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

james,

the grass looks awesome! the lines are really cool looking from the vac!

how much more does that seed cost per 50lbs compared to regular fescue blend?
    i know you use bill's product but have you ever used a powered endo product to mix with your tea or spray apps to inoculate seed?

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

My yard is a little more dirt but i am trying:)

HPIM2555.JPG

9. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

pj,

atleast you got the weeds under control..:)

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

yeah i did

HPIM2559.JPG