Barefoot Yards Pics

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Oct 31, 2008.

1. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You quoted what James typed, but do you understand it?

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Good for me I don't have to rely on university studies on this topic or I would be smoothering lots of grass going into winter. Again I have 75 yards Full Service Yards. When I mulch in leaves (on heavy leaf drops) it thins them out.
    They tend to not recover very well in the spring and require additional spring seeding to get as thick as they were in the fall. If I get them off the turf in the fall they stay thick and get thicker in the spring. So I vote for University of Barefoot Yards on this topic. But you do what you need to do on your lawns maybe MI is different?

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

There was one tree (maybe 2) in this entire valley when it was settled. Leaves? What are those?

4. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Oh oh! Competition for Just-A-Guy University.

Tim Wilson dHP

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

dont even try and push out TGU,:laugh::laugh:

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

What??? I was personally involved in one of those studies.

You want to be an uneducated clown, then go ahead, I don't care.

BTW we (MSU) mulched 6" of leaves 4x a season (24" total for you that don't know math). 4 years later - NO detrimental effects to the lawn. No pH change. No loss of turf. Increase OM. Increase microbe activity. Less fert. necessary.:weightlifter:

Some of you uneducated fools crack me up.:laugh:

7. treegal1

and your alma mater is????

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So, say I live on a corner property with 4 large oak trees, a maple, and a pretty consistent wind that blows neighbors leaves in the yard. The lawn is cleaned up at least 4 times in the fall. Now, your saying that if all the leaves were mulched, there would be no harm or smothering of any turf by the leaf mulch? I've seen it with my own eyes and on many other properties, but since you did a study, we're wrong? You obviously have an agenda here sir.

Please read some other threads if you think we're uneducated clowns on this forum. Most of us on here are already increasing OM and microbial activity without adding fertilizers or leaf mulch. And most of us don't mow lawns. Thanks for the info.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Can i mulch snow?
    Each site has its own set of factors and moisture

10. treegal1

NO and if any one else sends me a snowball we are no longer friends.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

a ficus here will kill the sod in 3 days!!!!