Barefoot Yards Pics

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Barefoot James, Oct 31, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Grassmechanic,

Can you post the study you are referring to? I have a couple concerns/questions with the limited data you provided.

Was the leaf mulch applied at same rate all 4 years?

Was there any fall or spring problems with smothering or disease?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

With a little common sense large amounts of leaves can be mulched and turf quality, OM, worm populations can and do increase. Fertilizer, water requirements as well as thatch levels decrease . If you are supplementing synthetic fertilizer, blanket weedkiller applications, PreM's a different outcome is to be expected. I may mulch large volumes but always disperse these throughout the turf before and after mulching so turf is not buried in a blanket of leaves. If that is not sufficient I will bag the remainder for visual impact but volume actually removed is a fraction of the original volume.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly....I think that was James' point as well.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Can you post the study you are referring to? I have a couple concerns/questions with the limited data you provided.
    I do have it somewhere. I'll try digging it out for you.
    Was the leaf mulch applied at same rate all 4 years?
    Yes. It was a 4 year study, but went on several years longer.
    Was there any fall or spring problems with smothering or disease?
    No smothering. Less snow mold.

5. Grassmechanic

So, say I live on a corner property with 4 large oak trees, a maple, and a pretty consistent wind that blows neighbors leaves in the yard. The lawn is cleaned up at least 4 times in the fall. Now, your saying that if all the leaves were mulched, there would be no harm or smothering of any turf by the leaf mulch? I've seen it with my own eyes and on many other properties, but since you did a study, we're wrong? You obviously have an agenda here sir.
    My only agenda is to offer education. We (MSU) gathered data from all over the country as to what a heavy leaf fall would be. 24" surpassed any leaf fall, including heavy oak forest land. You can do with the study whatever you want, including ignoring the simple fact that it can be done. There is a right and wrong way to properly mulch leaves. It looks like you've only been a witness to the wrong way. Put me on your ignore list.

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks! Will do!

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

SHOW ME THE STUDY!!!!

yeah that was cheese, what can you do.....

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Put the attitude away. I'm interested in learning more.

9. Grassmechanic

Then look it up youself.

Google "mulching leaves into lawn".
    I found Cornell, OSU, MSU and Perdue's studies in a minute.