bark blower rent, worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever rented a bark blower? Was it worth it? We are looking at renting one ,but here is the problem. First the blower is $1000 per week and you have to have a loader to load it which is another $600 per week. Can you do enough on a weekly basis to justify renting one ,or would it be just as good to do as much as you can by hand and save all those rental fees?
  2. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the work you line up. If you had to lay 100 yards of mulch then I think renting the blower is the way to go. Or you could sub it out to a company with a blower truck. Whichever way will make you the most profit, I would chose that way.
  3. Geezer

Geezer LawnSite Member

I'm with promower's qualifier on the TYPE of work you have lined up. The blowers are unbeatable on large volumes with lots of open areas and can be good on smaller accounts as well ....BUT...

There is definitely a learning curve to get good consistent quality with high production. You have to adjust the mulch feed rate, air volume, etc. and doing it is the only way to learn.

On the upside, you can put out a helluva lot of mulch in an impressively short period of time once you get the hang of it. You will also find that you will use less mulch as you can control the uniformity of the application, so your materials cost will be less per job.

Mr. Murphy will be along as well. Fine particles of mulch travel well and people WILL B!TCH mightily as it fills the window sills, goes into the house, car, pool, dog, etc. You will have mulch in shrubs, turf and other places you don't want it. If it is a trailer unit, it may not go everywhere you want it to go! Staging the mulch deliveries to the area where you will be working is important as you want to maximize the time the thing is blowing...not traveling! And don't forget time for the clean up of your dump sites.

You will have $1,600 real dollars tied up in the deal (plus all you the travel time to get it, the non productive learning period ....blah ...blah ...blah)
    You can be really productive with the thing once you get the hang of it.

Then again, subcontracting can work as well. We have done it both ways. You are just going to have to do the math using your production history (yards / man / hour) and make a decision.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions,I would like to know how we compare to another company in pricing. What do you pay per cubic yard for your mulch? What do you charge per yard installed? What is you target profit margin on mulch? Which machine are you looking to rent?

Thanks for the info and keep us posted as to what you decide and how it works out.
  4. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Geezer, I'll send you a pm to answer your questions.
  5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

hey where was the place at that you were looking to rent the mulch blower from?