Bark blowers are they worth the money?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by a&b landscaping inc., Mar 5, 2008.

1. a&b landscaping  inc.

a&b landscaping inc. LawnSite Member
    from Stow,MA

I've been looking at buying a small Finn bb200 mulch blower and was wandering if anyone has actually used one of this model. Is the bb200 worth the money, Especially with the limited hose lengths? Also, do they really spread 6-8 yards per hour or is that just what Finn says. We spread around 400 yards each season and slowly growing, the labor time is killing us. Any info would be great.

2. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Yah they work great. You can do more than 6-8 we normally do 10 or more an hour. The do create a lot of dust so if find a way to wet it down a little that would help. You can run sifted topsoil through them as well.

3. a&b landscaping  inc.

a&b landscaping inc. LawnSite Member
    from Stow,MA

Are you using a bb200 or a larger model? Also what kind of maintenance is involved on them? I have heard the air locks are expensive to fix/repair.

4. kps2389

kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member

The company I used to work for has a BB200 with 1 guy loading, 1 guy moving the hose, and 1 guy spraying we could easily do 10 yards an hour. Moving fast we did 12 yards an hour. They are great machines. The only problem is they tend to get clogged when bigger pieces of mulch go through.