barrels or re-usable bags??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Apr 19, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Looking for something to load clean up debris in. Landscapers Supply catalog shows two nice options. One is the big 60 gallon barrels (I've seen others using these locally), and the other is something called the Lawn Bagg which comes in 3 sizes (5, 18 and 27 cu.ft.). They are free standing and seem like they would be good because of the storing aspect when not in use.

Both options are in the same $ ballpark. Space is a problem for me, so I'm leaning toward the bags over the barrels.

Just wonder how well the bags will hold up? Anyone with personal experience? Thanks.

2. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I just use regular lawn and leaf bags for small amounts of stuff. If there is a lot of stuff I just load it on the truck with a tarp.

3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I use a couple of large trash cans. (39 gal?) You can find bags for them anywhere, and when they are full, they don't weigh 80 lbs. I use a 2" hole saw to make a few holes in the bottom and/or sides. This lets air in the holes when you pull out full bags. Here it's illegal (for contractors) to leave bags on the street, but the homeowner can do what they want. I either don't bag (best option) or leave the bags for the h/o to put out, or haul them away for a fee. For debris that would poke holes in plastic bags, I use a plastic landscaper's bag by Rubbermaid. It's about 3 ft tall and in diameter, and cost about $5 from Walmart. I got several last fall, but I have only used one so far. The big bags are just too heavy when they get full, IMO.

4. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I use the barrels from Lesco for small amounts of stuff,and a tarp for everything else.

5. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

I plan to get 2 of the lawn bags, the big ones. I know a guy that has 2 of them he says they work great.I like them because they dont take up too much space

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

most guys i see use the barrels from lesco or landscaperssupply. i plan on getting one of the barrels real soon

7. steverino

steverino LawnSite Member

I have two Lawn Baggs and have all but ceased using the tarps for debris pick-up. Advantage number one is that they don't spill the way a tarp can. Advantage two is they are much easier to manage, prop'em up and fill em up. Advantage three, throw them on the truck tie the handles and you'r out of there.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Can somebody be more specific about the company? I have a catalog from Commercial Landscape Supply, Inc in Irvine, CA. Is this the catalog that has these items? I don't find them in my catalog. It is the 2000-2001 edition.

Thanks.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This company is located in N.Y. They have a web site at:

http://www.landscapersupply.com

10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use a regular, outdoor, plastic trash can, good size, and throw it in the back of the truck. The city has a dropoff site that I take all my stuff to, so I just back up and throw it in the bin. Sure beats bagging.