Barricade 4FL ..... help needed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jrblawncare, Mar 4, 2007.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to get other opintions...For the first time I will be using Barricade 4FL for crabgrass pre-m this spring. As you can see I'am in the transition zone here in Kenkucky. After talking with the syngenta rep and a few others they say I will get good control by using 24 oz per acre or .75 AI per acre. I still plan to split the application to ensure good coverage using 16 oz in step 1 and 8 oz in step 2 for a total of 24 oz per acre. I just want to feel good about this before I start here in the next few weeks. What do you think... ?
    Many Thanks !!

2. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Our rate for cg prevention is .5lb AIA in NE Ohio. I would say that your rate is going to work.

3. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Check the residual schedule on the label .I think you might be pushing your luck with winter annuals that germinate early fall /late summer such as annual bluegrass . could be wrong .

4. Lawnmasters

Lawnmasters LawnSite Member

We use Procade, a generic version of Barricade. At 1/2# per @, two applications for total 1#@.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I would look at the generic versions of Prodiamine as well, most of them are produced right in the Syngenta plant, just packaged with a different label. We used a .65wdg last year at the 1.15 #/acre rate and got full season control, about 6-7 months here.
    One warning on Prodiamine, it will not stay in suspension well if it is mixed with a 2-4-d ester, like say Speedzone.

6. jrblawncare

I will be looking at other versions of prodiamine in the future......the 65 wdg @ 1.15... is that giving you 1 lb. of AI or a little less? I'am glad to be getting away from that yellow S*^% ! My cost have gone up and so did my pricing, I have only lost a few...any other using barricade in the T zone? Thanks for the feed back.

7. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

NW Arkansas here. last year, i only made one barricade application at 1 # of product per acre in late February, no problems all year. And, these were all new accounts. I just make sure that I err on the conservative side with my calibrations (making sure I'm positively getting at least the labeled rate).

IMO, with Barricade, we are mainly looking for the crabgrass control, as its broadleaf control is not that great. So, if crabgrass control is your goal, I believe you can get by with the low rate on the label in the transition zone.

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Don't understand the need to split up Barricade applications, except for maybe cash-flow rather than agronomic reasons.....

9. jrblawncare

I may be wrong on may thinking here as far as the split....I'am good but not perfect... by spliting I may get areas missed the first time around. My round #2 is for Broadleaf...I'am there anyway and for the most part it is still within my crabgrass window. Do you think I should put the full rate down all at once ?

10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Everything I've seen on prodiamine indicates that its a really good soil binder, but does take some time to set up the control barrier.

I want my full rate out on the lawns early.....

Using the 4FL, you aren't limited by the fert carrier on a granular product, so it just makes sense to me.

Mix it with some fert when you spray. You will quickly notice any possible missed areas (color).