Barricade 65WG application rate...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jglongisland, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jglongisland

jglongisland LawnSite Member

I'm going to use Barricade for beds this year and possibly lawn as I've got a Dimension barrier now that will probably wear off in early summer depending on rainfall. I'm a homeowner with 6,800 sq. ft. of lawn and 10,000 sq. ft. beds.

Using a solo 4 gallon backpack spreader, I've calibrated it to 1.25 gallons for 1,000 sq. ft. KBG lawn (with some Fine Fescue in shade), beds are perennials and annuals with shrubs/trees. I'm on LI in NY.

I've read the label a few times; should I be using 1 tablespoon per thousand (.37 rate)? If I use 4 tablespoons for 4 gallons I'll end up with 1/3 extra per thousand sq. ft.

On the lawn, crabgrass is no longer my enemy, its all about poa. Last year I got a lot of poa in May/June with the huge rainfalls and even got some in the fall notwithstanding a Dimension app last weekend in August. We had a very warm November and December and I think the Dimension wore off. If I switch to Barricade on the lawns I think I can get year-round coverage.

One app in the beds in the spring will probably make a huge difference, I do all the work myself and spent way too much time weeding the beds last year.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jglongisland

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems like there are a lot of barricade users on the forums applying it in liquid form...

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Poa breaking out in May/June doesn't sound right as it is a winter annual. I am in the deep south so our timing is a lot different but my guess is you are not dealing with poa.

4. jglongisland

Last May/June our weather was like September, about 10-15 degrees below normal and around 20 inches of rain. It was definitely poa. Very unusual as its normally a fall germination, but with the right conditions it can germinate any time up here.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

JG,
    So you are using a tablespoon (.5 ounce) of .80 wp or .4 ounce active ingredient per gallon. At 54 gallons per acre that would be 21 ounces per acre. About 1.4 pounds active ingredient per acre.
    I am not sure if I understand everything correctly. I think you should be closer to one pound per acre of active ingredient.
    John

6. jglongisland

OK, I'll have to use a bit less. I'll do the math again and adjust to 1 pound per acre equivalent. What do you mean .80 wp, the label says its 65% prodiamine.

7. jglongisland

At 3 tablespoons for my 4 gallon sprayer I ended up at 1 lb/acre which should give me 5 months of protection.

8. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Not high jacking thread but I had great luck in MA with Prograss 1.5...POA is gone.

9. jglongisland

Bx, did you buy an entire jug? Stuff is expensive. Curious, did you do one application last fall?

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

JG,
    in that case you are correct. If you are using 65 percent Barricade (65 WP), my calculations show you are using about 1.1 lb active ingredient per acre.
    Right on. Be sure to apply it evenly, of course.