Barricade break through

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rider, Jul 20, 2006.

1. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

anyone else seeing barricade break through( mainly curbs and sidewalks), timing was right , lots of rain in my area. no problem with my dimension apps,
    they usually go down late may

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Late May? Did you mean March?

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm seeing some breakthrough with barricade also. The usual tight spots.
    Have one athletic field though that looks like I didn't put anything down!

4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having breakthrough with Pendy. Normally I don't have breakthrough until Aug. I put my apps. down later than normal too.

5. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Let's decide what is breakthrough and what is normal expected pressure. You can count on 5-10% pressure on property and by manufacturers guesstamation (my word) that is ok. Check all your literature 92-93% control is normal and expected. Remember that plant emerged from and pencil tip area in the soil, not the full turf area the plant occupies now.

With all this talk of breakthrough I'd like to read some AI rates on your applications? Might find your answer right there. I always defer to the highest label rate for Pre-E.

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe this to be fairly common in regards to concrete borders. When we apply in Mid-March, or when the ground temps stay a consistent 52-56 degrees Fh, we see breakthrough along driveways, sidewalks, etc. In talking to some other applicators the consensus was the concrete and immediately adjacent turf usually heats up at a faster rate, therefore the germination process gets a boost from the warmer temps brought about by concrete and sun.

7. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

I used to use Dimension in the spring, but then I'd get some breakthrough in July or August. This year I went with Prodiamine in the spring thinking I would come back with Dimension in June to stop any breakthrough. Well, when I came back every single account I had used the prodiamine on had crabgrass starting, so I had to spray some Acclaim, and use the Dimension. The Acclaim caused some yellowing on one of the accounts, and hasn't worked as well as I would like either. Seems like a bad year for weeds altogether.

8. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Yea, i think it is just the type of year. the weather in Ohio has been crazy.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

The first question I would ask is regarding the AI percentage of the product you used, and how much was actually applied. Preemergent is the most unforgiving of the products we use, meaning that if you fail to apply the correct amount your span of control will not be reached.

I did one round of Barricade at 1 lb AI per acre back in Feb/March, and thus far have had no issues with crabgrass. This was Barricade 0.50% applied at 200 lbs/Acre.

Here in the South, I will be doing another round of Barricade in August at 0.5 lb AI to prevent Poa in the Fall and Winter. Takes a lot of weed control to manage turf in this area.

10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

TU, thanks for listing AI, I've read all the post and no one else has mentioned the AI. In the Midwest this is my recommendations.

Dimension:
    .38 Single app WSP
    .50 Single app EC
    .195 x 2 split app granular on fert
    Pendimethalin:
    No single app rate
    1.5 x 2 split app
    Barricade:
    .75 AI single app
    .375 x 2 split app

JMO on the various actives on the market. I'm a big believer in going to the highest label rate I'm sure some will dispute that point. Example to support cost of higher rates.

Barricade .20 ai in the bag $13.98 per bag appiled at
    .325 x 2 apps= .65ai on the ground cost per 1000 per app=$1.04
    .375 x 2 apps= .75ai on the ground cost per 1000 per app=$1.21

by increasing your active by 15-16% you your actual cost increases only .85 on a 5K property. The average service call will set you back roughly $45.00 per hour. $45.00 divided by .85= 53 5k lawns could have been treated at the higher AI by reducing 1 service call. How many calls have you received due to annual grass or broadleaf pressure? How many cancels have you taken? Average new customer cost depending on marketing can range $50.00too $75.00 that equates to 59-88 customers you could have treated for the cost of replacing 1 upset client.

Look for to comments: