Barricade Cavalcade Recommendations In Atlanta Area

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ninrocket, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ninrocket

ninrocket LawnSite Member

I just established a new lawn around August 5th, 2005. I have irrigation installed. The grass is a mono stand of Thermal Blue which is a new bluegrass hybrid from Scott's.

Scott's claims Thermal Blue can handle full sun and partial shade. It requires no overseeding.

So far their claim's seem legit. I am 40 miles due North of Atlanta, GA. My yard is full sun. I planted in first week of August and the temps were in the mid 90's most of the month. This is what it looked like on day 3 and then 2 weeks later....with no ammendments other than lime about a week before install.

I applied 10-10-10 at 10lbs per 1000ft2 at the 4 week mark and again yesterday.

I have had some problems with Goosegrass and Crabgrass but decided to do nothing with these weeds and let the first frost take care of them.

In the spring I am thinking about using Barricade/Cavalcade 65WDG around March 1st and again on May 1st. I am thinking 1lb on the first application followed by .25lb on the second.

Does this sound OK? If not...what do you experts recommend?

Thanks alot for your time.
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Your new turf will do great until next Summer. That is when your judgement will be made on Thermal Blue. How will it survive our Summers?

I would start your Barricade on Feb 1.

Another thing to consider.....

Ronstar is not labeled for use on residential, but I've known folks who have used it on their own lawns. You could actually use Ronstar now and then again next Spring instead of Barricade. Without a pre-emergent this Fall/Winter, you are open to Poa Annua among other things. Check the label to be sure for Bluegrass, but Ronstar is commonly used on new sod installations because it does not prune the roots.

Other folks here might flame me for saying that.
  3. ninrocket

ninrocket LawnSite Member

I'm pretty confident about the summer. What I don't know is how expensive it will be. I don't want 200 dollar water bills.

I spent a lot of time talking to Dr. Robert Walker at Auburn University before gambling on Thermal Blue. He is pretty much the expert on this turf. He has been a really big help. He has mentioned Prodiamine or Pendimethalin for crabgrass/goosegrass control. That is the only weed I discussed with him because that is the only weed I'm having problems with.

Oxadiazon does look pretty promising. How well does it do with the crabgrass/goosegrass. I had some pretty nasty spots a couple of weeks ago that are starting to die down now. I don't want to see those guys again. I want my yard to look like a million bucks like everyone else does. I think the thorough cultivation I did helped stir up a ton of seeds that germinated really well with all of the watering I was doing early on.

Do you mostly apply granular or spray?
    Where do you buy it? Lesco?

Thanks for your help. I might be giving you a call since I don't have a license to use Ronstar.

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Granular or can get it at Lesco. It does a good job against crab and goosegrass.