Barricade Craze

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 3, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Seems Barricade is the choice of the pre-emerge. Just wondering why? Best product for the money. I see that dimension is more higher priced. What about pre-m seems about the same as barricade.

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I went with the Barricade because of a few things. Price was comparable to Pre-M , that helps. However the 2 main reasons are almost no odor and almost no staining. Two very good reasons for me! The downside, I have been using the dry version, actually(Stonewall) and I have to use my digital scales to weigh it...not that big a deal I guess!

3. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

I myself like granular apps w/fert why did u go with a liquid app. price?

4. ted putnam

Virtually every LCO in this area does their pre-emerge apps as liquid. Anyone that does it dry, does it because they don't have a tank sprayer. Cost is a big part of it. You pay for the convenience of only needing a dry spreader to apply it but I think another big reason is you can add fert, pre and post weed controls to the tank and cover the lawn in one pass. I think that coupled with the price is the deciding factor. I'll bet my local Lesco isn't carrying more than a couple pallets of fert/pre-emerge combos right now, but have several of the pre-emergents that are tank mixed as well as pallets of the post emerge and pallets of urea and MOP. Just the way it is here...

5. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

6. ted putnam

I see what you are saying Turfdoc. I guess it goes back to like what americanlawn said one day about Chemlawn doing studies back in the 70's showing that liquid apps were superior to dry apps as far as them being more even coverage. I know I have always had more confidence in it.

7. wiseguyslawn

from Ohio

Ted,
    i have just purchased my first tank and agree it provides a better coverage. What are you tank mixing with your pre emerge.

8. ted putnam

Both of my sprayers are 300 gal tanks that I spray 2 gal/k. I mix Prodiamine, Lesco 3 way, simazine and uflexx. I just started using the uflexx. I was using MOP until about 3 days ago. I dropped it at that time and switched to uflexx for N instead of K. The turf types are mainly Bermuda and zoysia. They haven't greened up yet but I'm hoping the stabilized N will stick with the lawn until they do. You wouldn't use the simazine on the Fescue in your area. Everything else you could do the same with varying rates of course.

9. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you using simazine? That seem strange to me. Simazine promotes dormancy and if you have been getting warm weather in your area then you could have some green up that you are not able to see yet. From my understanding that simazine can push it back into dormancy for another 2-6 weeks.

Just asking maybe you know something I dont, Im always willing to learn something new.

10. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

Im curious about the simazine also???????