Barricade or Dimension? Need some help.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by teamoneoutdoors, Feb 13, 2007.

1. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

Ok guys here is my situation. I recently received my pesticide lincense and have signed a new client for a complete maintenance program.

Turfgrass: 419 Bermuda with some areas that need repairing.
    Prior Treatment: ? Had another company treating it but annual bluegrass was terrible in Jan. I treated the yard for it and it was successful.
    Mower: We will be using a Toro Reelmaster 2300D set at 3/4 inch. I need this property to immaculate.

In preparing for preemergence, I have seen some studies where Barricade may prevent the stolons from filling in the bare areas. What is your experience? Do you recommend dimension or another product?

Thanks.

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Of those two preemergents, Barricade will be less harsh on the root system. Pendi is not a good choice for turf in questionable condition.

That said, you have other options. Is this a residential property? If not, then Ronstar is the best choice. If this is residential, you can purchase a product that has a blend of Ronstar and Barricade. This label on this product does not restrict use on residential lawns. Regal Chemical sells this as Regalstar II, but I think other vendors may also have a similar offering.

3. ThreeWide

Of those two preemergents, Barricade will be less harsh on the root system. Dimension might be slightly more harsh on turf that is in questionable condition. There is university research to back that up. Regardless, root damage is generally caused by excessive application which would happen with any preemergent.

That said, you have other options. Is this a residential property? If not, then Ronstar is the best choice. If this is residential, you can purchase a product that has a blend of Ronstar and Barricade. This label on this product does not restrict use on residential lawns. Regal Chemical sells this as Regalstar II, but I think other vendors may also have a similar offering.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Wow thanks for that info. I at one time was looking at Barricade but my supplier guided me toward Dimension.

Where do you get that kind of good info? I have to rely upon my suppliers who are often driven by other factors.

5. ThreeWide

Some of these little factoids are heard at seminars led by university researchers. However you can find a lot of this on the web. The bit about root damage was a study done by NC State.

6. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

Turf Unlimited,

Thanks! I have read many of the studies posted on www.turffiles.ncsu.edu but it seemed that many were devoted to post-emergence herbicides. Thanks for the info.

This is a residential property that borders a golf course.

7. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We have had good luck with Cavalcade, which is a generic Barricade. We are getting ours from Nutrients PLUS. A combo product with poultry manure as the foundation so you are getting weed control along with essential organic matter treatments.

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm switching to lescos version this year Stonewall (prodiamine) after talking and researching, and hitting the "hot spots" w/ Bensumec (bensulide)

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We're doing some price comparisons, as well. We may just end up with Dimension again, though. By the way, Shades...you got mail.

10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Got it, thanks joe.