Barricade / Stonewall questions...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Dec 31, 2005.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Using this product for the first time this year.
    Any tips / comments?
    Bag does not suggest splits, hints that single app is good as look as you do not exceed x lbs. per acre.
    This is also a good pre-em for beds, correct?
    I have always used Pre-Em 1st round, Die. 2nd round.
    I was educated that this was a bad practice because I was not using consistant AI.

2. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

In NE Ohio Baracide should be applied as single app .5lb aia. Where you are is probably a highter rate and maybe split app.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If I'm doing one early season application of Barricade, it would go very close to 1 lb AI per acre. This should give you a 6 month coverage window in Atlanta.

Split apps would be about 0.5 lb AI per acre each. Assume about 3 months coverage with an 0.5 rate. Be careful not to overshoot the fall seeding window with Fescue.

Max rate is 1.5 lbs AI per acre in a year.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

not sure what to use been usind dim .15 but stonewall looks good at the .43 mix

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a big barricade/stonewall fan. Just don't tell the boss (the Mrs) how much a 50lb box costs. It gives very good protection against crabgrass, fox-tail and spurge which are the main summer annuals here. Doesn't stain as bad or smell as bad as pendi. I just do 1 ap at 1.15#/acre. So my cost is $1.05/1000. It may be a little more than pre-em but I think it's worth it. When I use pre-em there is the temptation to avoid edges by nice concrete and white fences to avoid staining but these are places weeds are most likely to germinate. I've tried Dimension but it has such a short half life, I was seeing crabgrass popping up lsee than 3 months after application.

6. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I was considering using Stonewall this year for slight cost considerations versus Syngenta's Barricade but Lesco offered no EC form. of the product. Haven't looked into it lately (they may offer it now) but I prefer EC forms.for use in blanket apps. since my days of using good-old mechanical paddle agitation are long-gone. EC's seem to stay in supension better than WDG's. There is nothing like spraying a large property(s), checking your strainer and finding a large glob of product stuck to your screen. Makes me nervous about rates applied etc.
    Something else to consider when making a product choice is to read the label THOROUGHLY. While a manufacturer may list a wide range of weeds controlled or surpressed, they often suggest applying the product at times that may be inconvenient for use. Ex-Barricade/Stonewall offers control of winter annuals like chickweed if you apply it in the fall. Would work great in a straight warm-season market with a fall/spring split app. but why use a very pricey product that can be accomplished with one pre/post app. in the spring? And, it would be of no use in a fall seeding/aeration market since it would interfere with the critical germination of overseeding.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

yes it can be used as a pre-em for plant beds

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

SOUNDS good