bartering

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by EPIC, Apr 5, 2006.

1. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

does anyone do it and what are some of the tings you do / why and why not to barter ? and how to you aproch batering with some one ?

2. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

my price is my price,try going into a big department store and ask the manger to sell you the clothes cheaper. he will look at you like you are nuts:dizzy:

3. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I only barter with one individual, and that's my tax preparer. She has a few rental properties I take care of, and she handles all my tax issues and does my company payroll.

This is the only person in the (6) seasons I have been in business with whom I barter. Finally, she asked me if I would consider it.....

4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

I trade Free Pest Control for Hunting & fishing all the time.
    The thing is if you can use it do it it saves you money and its not taxed

5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

My welder and I haven't billed or paid each other in years. He has a half acre lot a walk down the road we clear the driveway with the skidsteer. His shop is a 4 minute drive from us. He no longer owns a lawn mower, and we have no welding gear. When he fixes something its usually heavier built than the original manufacturer plows,mowers trailers salters "KENNY!!... What did you break this time?"

6. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i mowed my friends yard for trading welding jobs i bought a new trailer and wanted some welding done i cut out the pieces and he had an employee weld it together then he sent me a bill for $452.00 i confronted him about it and he said his deal was for small jobs. so i sent him a bill for $451.00 and guess what he is behind on his bill? don't barter unless you have it in writing :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

7. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Bartering is trading services not giving discounts.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, i do not barter. however, my trainee, against my advice, did barter. the homeowner offered a new lawn tractor in exchange for services. my original advice was to say no. he went on about how he could really use the machine...etc. the machine was purchased brand new a yr ago for $1300. it was used maybe 3 times, and kept in the garage. i told him to offer $500 worth of services for this machine. instead, he offered them $1100 worth of service. he will be cutting grass all yr , plus cleaning leaves, for this machine. as for me, i don't barter

9. LandscapeMasterpieceGA

LandscapeMasterpieceGA LawnSite Member

I have a running barter ad on craigslist for lawn care/landscape design, you never know what might get offered your way. I am going to do a pinestraw/annuals install this week in trade for a couple of barstools and other furniture. Why not?
    (Although a GUY named Patrick offered a full body massage for a 4 x 6 annual bed....scary!)

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

He got skru'd but you know what?
    I'm seriously considering doing what you're doing, it might frustrate me some when they don't listen but at least it won't be me eating crud. And at some point, this would have to amuse me.

But it really is like you said at one time: Charge enough to earn decent money, and you don't have enough work. Lower your price and you work from sunup to sundown for peanuts.