bartering

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by charlies, Apr 3, 2004.

1. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i swear this is a true story...

i did an estimate, knock on the door, she answers, eric clapton playing in the background. i do the estimate, go back knock again, present the price, $50 per, she says:

"i do massage therapy out of my home, could we work out an exchange of services?"

i said, "oh, ah, no thank you, ma'am".

"o.k., well i have your card, let me think about it." she said.

as i was driving down the road, i was thinking....what just happened there?

anyway, another time i did an estimate and the couple offered to cook me dinner every time i mowed.

what kind of barters have you guys been offered?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I currently barter with my acountant (who is also a friend). I think he gets the better deal dollar and cents wise.. service versus service. That's okay with me because he can easily do what I do.. not true the other way around. I know I'm in good hands and he has helped me turn my business around with a sense of direction.

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Oh man Eric Clapton playin in the background? Massage? I would have taken her up on that I think....;)

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Do a little gas station. Love it. I get 4 Fillups a month = around 135. It takes me roughly 15 minutes to mow trim and another 10 and 10bucks of fert every 2 months.

5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't ever really had this come up, but I do think it could be a good situation. However, she should have specified her terms before she wasted your time.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

certainly the question needs to be asked: what did she look like?

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

we do a few, one does our work shirts for us, the other is a jet ski shop, we mow for them and equal out payment fot jet ski supplies. I dont mind it.

8. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I do business with people that due business with me. But $ always changes hands. I like to keep my books staight, income/expense

thanks
    Rick

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I take care of my mechanics folks lawn and he fixes and services all of my equipment. He is also a dealer for echo, toro and several other companies which I get at his cost. Shop is just around the corner from the house so every morning I just pop over and have sharp blades put on the mowers.

10. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

I try to stay away from bartering, not a good plan, bc it seems never equal in each others eyes.