1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Base Course

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Remington351, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Remington351

Remington351 LawnSite Member

I'm having trouble getting a base course level on a 110ft wall. Is there any reason that I can't set the base course of versalok on a 3/4" bed of mortar? My crusher-run leveling pad has some ridges and valleys that I can't seem to eliminate. Thanks.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

A million ways to skin a cat.

We get the compacted aggregate base as level as possible using a laser lever.

And then we cheat (sometimes) - we'll use NO more than 1/4" of sand to help expidite the process of installing the base course.

3. Remington351

Remington351 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, DVS. Most of the walls that I've done have been much shorter than this one. I've laid the of the base course twice now and ended up pulling the block out because I keep getting about 1/2 inch out of level after 30 feet or so.

I was thinking that if I can use a mortar bed between the CR6 and base course then I may have more success by squishing the blocks down to level, rather than building one up on sand, pounding the next down, building up, pounding down, etc.

Is a thin (3/4") mortar bed something that has been used in the past, or, is it an absolute no-no?

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I do the RCA base, tamp the hell out of it getting it close then put a half inch of fine sand and dialing it in. pound the lips of the block in and go

5. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good place for flowable fill?

6. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A tightly pulled string level and a tape measure.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

i dont like line levels. transit the two pins, mark them, and pull the hell out of the string

8. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

A few things i have found helpful.

1 use concrete spreaders "comealongs" to spread gravel, a steel rake separates the material
    2. Use a high quality laser $1000.00 price range minimum, if you cant afford, rent.
    3 string lines are not good for elevation control over 40 feet. Wind and gravity take over. You will never get a line tight enough for a 100 foot run.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. joes169

joes169 LawnSite Member
    from WI

I've used the "mortar" approach in the past, after discussing it with a Versa-Lok rep. No problem as long as it's under an inch in thickness, and it's not relatively strong. I believe I actually just used a very lean Portland cement and sand mix, as it wasn't sticky at all and had better leveling properties.........

10. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

Im not trying to be a jerk at all but are you sure that your level is working correctly? I have had guys run base and keep getting off only to find out that their torpedo level is off. There has to be a reason why your all of a sudden running unlevel base.